When will a 3d export like Wavefront be available?

Can you give me more info what should be done? I simply not very deeply familiar with 3D.

One more thing to ask. Should length of edge in each piece be the same? Or i can generate meshes separately for each piece.

There are two things to consider in your coding: (1) a least-mean-squares approach to the mesh, so that the UV (texture) map will have a minimum amount of distortion. Think of this in terms of what a plaid shirt would look like during an animation. (2) only break the first rule when it comes to joints with a high degree of articulation, the armpits and the hips. Elbows and knees need a mesh that has bigger (broader) polygons at the point of elbows and knees, and narrower in the crooks of the elbows and knees. And finallyā€“and this can only be suggestion, not a ruleā€“edge loops whenever possible. Why? An armature can move a circle (any primitive object) without distortion, but the more organic a shape is, the less predictable the outcome. Edge loops are best possible geometric solution. HTH.

Having used Marvelous Designer for a yearā€“and seeing its strengths and weaknessesā€“I would suggest generating meshes separately, as each 3d suite will have its own algorithms for stitching. Blender users makes a big point about this new plugin. So that should make your job easier. HTH

Unfortunately your answer does not answer on my question.:slight_smile: Probably i donā€™t get something. I will try to explain. Currently i export only vertices and faces (triangles), but you said you need normal as well. I saw in obj format description about that part, but because i donā€™t know how to use it and how to calculate i skipped that part.

You do not need to worry about normals. Recalculation of normals during mesh editing (thereā€™s always a polygon or two that needs tweaking) is built in to all the major 3d suites (which I have already noted, though you can add Cinema 4d). The feature beyond vertices and triangles is the planning necessary for edge loops near or on the stitches; this is usually done by having code that limits the number of branches off the nodal vertex. For example in Makehuman MakeClothes, a clothing mesh can have no more than 6 (six) branches, if more, MakeClothes will throw an error. The limitation of MakeClothes is that it isnā€™t production-ready; the mesh is laid out on a rectangular XYZ (3d) grid. Marvelous Designer does this better, by having ā€˜diamondsā€™ that are rotating at angles off the Y plane, but they cut corners by using triangles. What is needed is code that uses only quads, but rotates them off the XYZ grid.

Hereā€™s an example of those ā€˜twisted diamondsā€™ as I like to call them, with one level of subsurface subdivision:

http://www.geekopolis.ca/screen_captures/bodiceOne_R.png

And finally, Iā€™ve only used Blender and Marvelous Designer as an artist. I discovered that I could get perfect flow from Makehuman through Blender to Marvelous Designer in Collada format (because of MD compliance with OpenCollada). Soā€¦I only know Wavefront objects; I havenā€™t used anything with DXF format in over a decade. Mostly Iā€™m working on martial arts animations, to the point of going the gym (which I manage) and trying out the moves themselves.

Another question. As i understood from your words some parts of mesh need thickening? Thatā€™s a problem because my algorithm donā€™t like that. Do you really need that level of accuracy? Because now i can provide only uniform mesh. mesh.obj (830.8 KB)

We have two workflows which have some similarities:

DXF creates separate layers for seamlines, seam allowances, passmarks, internal lines, grainlines, text labels.
The OBJ only includes the seamlines, passmarks, and internal lines.

So, can we develop the OBJ export without having to generate layers first?
Can the OBJ export code select the seamlines and internal lines without seamallowances, and include the passmarks for seam matching?

Weā€™re certainly communicating from different worlds! :wink: What I mean is that where the objects will join during stitching should yield an edge loop if possible. This makes animation much easier.

So, no, your mesh does not need to be thicker; instead you have to plan were the edge loops will need to be.

The best explanation will be by way of illustration. I did a tutorial on the Makehuman site called ā€œRigging and Weight Painting the Perfect Punchā€. This move causes terrific distortions in the mesh, if not planned for. I solved the problem by adding an edge loop (see the second screen shot).

Edge Loop Solution for Front Punch

Yes to all these questions. I havenā€™t used the Blender stitching plugin much (only once, actually), so weā€™d have to try a few examples. I would suggest a nurseā€™s uniform of t-shirt and slacks for starters.

So the number of vertices must match along both sides of each seamline.

Question: Your Ellie poncho was triangulated. Can you show us an image of the Ellie poncho with quadrangulation which supports edge loops?

Yes. This is related to issue #660.

Yes, i am completely newbie.:slight_smile:

Finally. This part i understood.

Yes, but I will need to put these two meshes through MeshLab, which I donā€™t have on my present workstation. Later today.

Here is your newest mesh, draped (as silk) over my Ellie E model.

Silk Poncho on Ellie E

1 Like

Can you show us what the mesh looks like? Iā€™d like to see the quadrangulation pattern.

Sure. Here is the mesh, converted from tris to quads, using Blender 2.76b

The goal has to be 100% complete conversion to quads; otherwise Makehuman/MakeClothes wonā€™t accept the mesh. This is where pre-planning for edge loops becomes critical. In animatorā€™s terms, the mesh must exhibit ā€˜edge flowā€™.

Tri to Quad Conversion Close Up

Okay, now here is how I would as a 3d animator, solve the problem. This is based on how bodies move. In the upper body, there are four stationary points: base of spine; pubic; deltoid left, deltoid right. This is where the ā€˜dotted trianglesā€™ are placed, that is, an isoceles triangle with a single divided edge. Two levels of subdivision later, this is what it looks like:

Dashiki with Stationary Points

Dashiki with Stationary Points modelled by Ellie E