Setting Seam allowance and Internal Path while drafting from Draft to Piece

Hello all,

Working with Seamly2D Iv’e noticed that while copying the pattern pieces from '‘Draft’ to ‘‘Piece’’, I’m not able to add seam allowance or internal path directly, or I at least haven’t found out how to do it, as those options are faded out and I have to do all that later on while working on ‘‘Piece’’ mode. To be able to edit the Labels and grainlines as well would be also nice. Is there a way to do it while copying the pieces ? this would safe a lot of time.

Thank you upfront and Best regards :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, this was an intentional design decision by the previous dev. If I remember correctly, when @Douglas was looking into straightening it out previously it turned out to be buried in spaghetti code. I do think I recall the former dev being fairly adamant about the superiority of this aggravating system, so I’m certain he didn’t make an effort to keep the code accessible. In the short term, at least @Douglas has managed to make the pieces be named successively rather than all being “piece”.

Which brings us to internal paths. Those get added with a separate tool in “Draft” —it’s the last tool in the “Piece” toolgroup, with an icon of a square on weight-watchers bisected by a dashed line on the diagonal.

But I think the idea of making it possible to add a detail to multiple pattern pieces without re-drawing it, even if the piece hadn’t been traced off yet, is something which it would be good for Seamly2D to have.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer, the ‘‘buried in spaghetti code’’ got me :smile: I understand, I’ve used the separate tool for internal path but I thought it could go in on step. Though I haven’t found out how to name the pattern pieces directly while tracing, I always need to rename then after.

1 Like

And that’s exactly what it is, and what us old school programmers call it. Although I think some of the code is like fat linguini. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re preaching to the choir. There’s some things we could add as you create a pattern piece, others though have to be added to a piece after it’s created. It’s like going to a store and picking stuff off the shelves before getting a shopping cart to put them in. I’ve gone over this in my mind umpteen times, and while it would be nice if everything was done in 1 screen, being on 2 screens is just part of the nature of the beast.

3 Likes

weight-watchers… took me a second. LOL

ALL:

Just a note on the internal paths (IP’S)… I have confirmed there is a bug issue of IP’s not decrementing and cleaning upproperly if you delete a piece that includes IP’s without deleting the IP(s) from the list in the Pattern Piece->Paths->Internal Paths. So for now if you delete a piece, delete any IP’s first, then delete the piece - otherwise you’ll get an error that a path id wasn’t found next time you load (or parse) a pattern. Should be a relatively easy fix, but with this app I’ve learned to take that with a grain of salt when I say that.

Yeah… the labels needs some loving care too… for 1, the default size of 1x1 is ridiculous. I’m always having to change that. It’s also stupid that have to go to the Prefs to edit the Pattern info & template. I cleaned a lot of stuff to the labels in my other fork, which was probably lost in the big crash of the Little Blue Hardrive. :frowning: I had added colors & fonts to the editor, and the labels tab made way more sense.

At any rate, I’m sure we’ll be able to improve the Piece Tool & Dialog to allow to enter data at the point of creation vs having to go somewhere else (or back and forth) to edit stuff after the fact. Such as naming a piece WHEN you create it.

Working with Seamly2D with the Annie job, because I know what I’m going to add - such as anchors, IP’s or even a node I noticed I missed - I create the piece, add my other stuff, then go to piece mode to edit the name, labels, and grainlines ( which also is stupid with a default of 1… which I don’t even know if that is inches, cm, or if it converts to 2.54 if using cm?)… I think we can make it default to something more intelligent that normally you would even have to bother editing. Oh, which BTW, there’s another bug with the GL’s if you interactively resize one too small. I have or as the case may be had the fix.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response to all topics.

I guess I have to go with that for now than but its good to know that you’ve got it in the back of your mind and it will be reworked, I think also the fact to name it WHILE you create the piece is a must have :smile: the default sizes for labels and seam allowance is also a good thing to change I would appreciate, as well as the editing of the whole labeling settings as you mentioned.

1 Like

Hey folks… I may have figured out what’s up with the IP’s not cleaning up if you just delete a piece, and this may apply to other items that might be hanging around (in the modeling section as “in use”) after they should have been cleared.

In the de-referencing routine the code only counts down the class member _referens

If (_referens == 0) then… blah blah decrement reference.

Well, since the increment routine is if (_referens == 1) then increment… I’m not sure what the idea here is??

Seems to me if _referens is a count of the number of references, then it should be if (_referens > 0) then decrement and if (_referens >= 0) then increment… as neither case will ever be true. Ergo, in this case the IP’s will never be cleared as they will never be decremented and removed when they hits 0 count.

BTW… maybe someone can enlighten me… I don’t quite understand the reason for the “in use” attribute? Since the tools are (should be) tracked by how many references to them… seems to me if the count is greater than 0 it’s being used… if it’s 0 it’s not. In other words if it being used it should be in the modeling section, if it’s not being used, the element shouldnt be there… I don’t get the “in use” tag. Am I missing something or is this just more spaghetti? It’s not like you can create an IP without placing it in a pattern piece. The in use would make sense if you could create an IP (in use = “false”)… and then use it later to add to any number of pattern pieces (in use =" true"), but that’s not the way it works.

1 Like

My guess is that was intended to be its eventual purpose, or that was the purpose in testing, but never deprecated when it was no longer implemented. Which I guess amounts to “suspiciously noodly.”

:unicorn:

2 Likes

Or another rabbit hole to fall into. :slight_smile:

1 Like