Seamly2D on different operation systems

Helllo everybody, as a longterm MAC User i have the feeling that Seamly 2D on MacOS is the minority here, therefore I would find it interesting to get an idea how many window, Mac Os and Linux users are here. A survey would be helpful.

1 Like

Hello again, @H.Naehmann . Perhaps you can explain how such a survey would be helpful?

Well, if usage follows the global of what desktop is used, MacOS should come in second... followed by Linux. Windows though on PC'S is above 90 of the market.

1 Like

I have the felling that mac users are the minority of seamly users. If you look for tutorials in youtube its mainly for Windows systems. Additional software like for embroidery machines are only for Windows available.In Graphic Design MAC Os is leader, but I guess not for pattern making

1 Like

Thx for your anorswer whish is a global %, thats obvious esp als windows desktop computers or notebook are less expensive than MAC Devices and in most Companies, Offices etc Windows is used.

THe questions is are we talking of 1.000.000 WIndows Desctop Users having Seamly and maybe 100 MAC Os Users, and maybe 20 LINUX Users.

1 Like

The response from Douglas make me thinking of my Idea of the survey. Maybe the answer is easier to find if its possible to have a look on the percentage of downloads of Semly 2D for the different operating systems, since the release

2 Likes

Well that would certainly answer more directly who’s using Seamly2D. I tried checking on Github… no direct way to get the release downloads. Did find this though that was interesting… how users are finding their way to the repo on Github:

search

As an admin here I also checked to see if I could find the number of download clicks. Nope. I can tell you every other stat about the forumn, but that.

Keep in mind though, that what matters is how many “unique” users have downloaded a release.

2 Likes

We can take a look at the download count on github, taking last weeks release as a reference:

Roughly three times more windows downloads than mac downloads:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-22 um 23.43.22

Everyone can take a look at these stats publicly at Github Release Stats

1 Like

Thank you. I thought there was a way to see the download count. Don’t know where I was looking. Doh.

More or less tracks the average breakdown of OS usage. Actually I’m quite surprised with the total count. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We used to have many more Mac and Linux users. But when Gnome 4.0 came out that changed both Linux and MacOS desktops, and about the same time Monterey came out and broke a lot of existing MacOS desktop apps, it took over a year of effort to identify & fix the problems with icons, fonts, file locations, and also incorporate the changes that occurred with build tools.

So we’re back up to speed now, but it took a bite out of our user base.

2 Likes