Pattern Piece Node List

When building pattern pieces, it would be nice if all the nodes sitting along the chosen outline would be automatically added to the piece’s node list.

2 Likes

I have wished the same at times, but would it really be good to have drafting nodes which have nothing to do with sewing showing up on the pattern piece?

Notably, on a bodice draft there are likely to be bust & waist nodes, (at the least,) along a fold line. When inputting seam allowance it is nicer to be able to say that the seam allowance between eg. Length & Neck is 0 than to say that the seamline between Length & Waist, & Waist & Bust, & Bust & Neck is 0.

& it is possible, (albeit a hassle,) to add nodes to existing pattern pieces, (unlike other groupings ATM.)

I’ll let a coder speak as to whether it can even be done, but my gut reaction is that it would be a lot harder to make the machine understand what to do than it is for the flexible organic brain.

2 Likes

When I added a node, after the piece was already created, the new node created massive problems in the way the piece looked. I think there might be some bugs in adding nodes to an existing piece.

2 Likes

Oh, you have to manually move them to the proper clockwise location. They get added at the bottom of the list.

1 Like

I see, that does seem to improve things. Now though when I try to change the seam allowance on an added point it doesn’t seem to do anything.

2 Likes

hmm. I haven’t had a lack of result in any of my limited experiments in that arena. On the other hand, some of my results have had very odd seamallowance effects.

1 Like

I don’t get what you mean…they are automatically added. When you select objects in draft mode along a clockwise path, as soon as you press < enter > the points & curves are added to the main path list. If you “insert” nodes after previoulsy having created a pattern piece, they are insert at the bottom of the list and are initially excluded from the piece - reason being is that they are most likely NOT in the correct path order.

Would it be nice to have inserted nodes “automatically” positiion themselves in the proper path order? Yes. Is this an easy task to figure out? No.

A screencap would help us to see what’s going on.

Well… the drafting nodes have something to do with the pattern piece… in that when you create a pattern piece you are simply taking a point or curve from a draft block list and making a copy and adding it to the node list of the pattern piece, It’s also why you can create multiple pieces using the same draft objects. The exception to this is the anchor points (pins) which is another list of “special” points that show up in the label & grainline dialogs to allow use of nodes added that are not in the main or internal paths, But… I think I know what your’e thinking of… like why do we need to “create” an anchor point? Why can’t we just have access to all draft block points for the labels or grainline and say “anchor the label / grainline here”. It’s a whole step that could be eliminated if I can figure it out. I tried aways back to do exactly that,but wasn’t as familiar with the point nodes as I am now… especially after revamping the Point Name text & cfont & color.

1 Like