New programmer

Hey @Douglas
A recent CS grad from Missippi State wants to join the dev team. What issue do you think would be a good place to start? He hasn’t joined the forum yet but he’s been added to the repo. He’s currently setting up his Qt environment.

4 Likes

Let me take a look at the existing issues. Need to find one(s) that are not so spread over the whole app - like so much of the tools. After 5+ years of reading the code there’s things RT did that I’m still trying to unravel… like the Union tool. Also need to avoid conflicting with what I may currently be working on - which is why being on the forums would be important.

3 Likes

Here’s a few issues that one can get their feet wet… increasing in complexity:

#144 Improve the Gender list in measurement files. Probably involves updating the schema. Was actually the 1st thing I did with my own fork years ago… just never added it to Seamly. There was some discussion here on the forums, but I think we pretty much decided on Github → issue what to do.

#60 Show progress bar while opening pattern file. Mainly work in the mainwindow class with QProgressBar. Not much to discuss other than where to place it… Status bar?

#74 Add design grid. Get’s into the graphics scene and view… probably would want some preferences. I’d add a “ruler” to the grid as they kinda of go together. Pretty good challenge. Could use LibreCAD and / or QCad for reference. Probably want to have some discussion here.

2 Likes

Yeah he’s super nice, and I’ll check with him about joining the forum so he can join this thread.

3 Likes

Here’s another issue that just presented itself… not on Github as an issue yet, but would be helpful and easy to resolve. The Critical Error dialog goes off screen when there’s a long contents list. Should stay on sceen and be scrollable if neccessary.

2 Likes

This last issue may require some understanding of Qt widgets, is this correct?

1 Like

ANY issue is going to require understanding of widgets … if you see it, it’s a widget… or an object - which are widgets with signals and slots.

The last one is easy… just beed to adjust the proprties of the dialog. It’s probably done programmatically, rather than using a ui form, in which case you should use Creator to edit the form as it’s a nightmare trying to edit ui XML directly. Which sonetimes is unavoidable if there are conflicts to resolve when merging some PR,s with ui changes.

1 Like

Super. He says he’ll be available this weekend.

1 Like