"Insert node tool" Improvement Discussion

Yes, it has been brought up. I don’t believe it made it to the official list though, because it didn’t seem sufficiently useful at the time.

:unicorn:

1 Like

While technically you can “get” the points at the end of an arc, based on the start and end angles, there’s no “object” points created stored. The arc points are just created on the fly when you call the abstractcurve getPoints(). In the example above I created intersect Axis points A98 & A99, It would be nice if these are just just part of the arc tool(s). Plus like in my example above if the arc angles or length changed you wouldn’t have to worry about the intersects going out of range.

3 Likes

Oh… probably lots. With having a pattern dynamically resize, there’s always the potential an intersect goes out of range. If every object to object intersect created a new point object the likelihood of something going out of range would increase dramatically - I would think. And yeah… the draft blocks could get messy real quick. Not to mention that the more objects a pattern has, the bigger hit in processing time you’re going to take every time the pattern needs to be parsed. Having a bunch of unneeded intersect points is most likely going to slow the app down. Of course that’s going to vary depending on the hardware. I already know the app slows down the bigger a pattern is when in debug mode, especially when you watch the application output debug texts, and one simple change can force a full parse of the pattern - that is, it’s basically loading the whole pattern again (from the Dom doc in memory), and rebuilding every tool.

3 Likes

Das ist richtig. Im Verlauf der letzten Jahre habe ich aber festgestellt, dass ich besser fahre, wenn ich meine Armlöcher mit einfachen Kurven baue, da ich dort besser Punkte platzieren kann.

1 Like

I think there was the issue of the nodes not being placed at the very end or beginning of an arc - there was always a bit of space, probably the diameter of the node itself.

And I agree with @Scholli that using curves are much better to use than arcs in drafting a pattern piece.

I’m a little careful to take away the option to reverse an arc in the Layouts, because this may “break” peoples’ existing patterns and limit the use of them to only determining the intersection of arcs to place a node, and that will probably make the ElArc totally redundant (which I also know that some people - not many & it won’t affect the direction if it’s on the right of the pattern piece - use for the armhole curve).

As for placing nodes at either end of an arc, will it be an option that can default to off? Can I choose if that arc needs nodes on either end? If so, then I’m for it.

2 Likes

Agreed. It’s just easier to resize a curve and control points im sync with a measurement file. I only use arcs as contruction tookls, not as the seam contour.

No. I’m not talking about removing the option to reverse arcs. I’m referring to removing the part of the code I put in the updated Insert Nodes tool to always reverse arcs in the tool with the incorrect assumption that all arcs need to be reversed. I reverted the code back to treat arcs just like curves in the tool. Again, this tool discussion does not apply to adding a pattern piece, only adding nodes after the fact. What ever the Insert Nodes tool does, you still have to decide what to do with them in the Patter Piece → main path dialog, including them and reversing if neccessary.

Yes… just delete them from the Insert Nodes list before pressing OK to add them to whatever piece you selected OR delete them in the Piece tool dialog, OR just leave them excluded. Again, this does not apply to the initial selection of objects to create a pattern piece, just adding multiple nodes after a piece has been created.

Hmmm… Just came up with another simple improvement to the Piece tool. What’s one the most common reasons you need to add a node to a main path? You missed a curve segment. I could easily add a context menu item for curves in the main path list to duplicate that node and append it excluded to the main path as if you went back to draft mode, added the node, then gone back to piece mode. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Genauso mache ich das auch :+1:

1 Like

Oh, wow! that sounds great :laughing:

1 Like