"Insert node tool" Improvement Discussion

Continuing the discussion from Add point to curve: This seems like a big enough question to deserve its own thread :slight_smile:

On the one hand I think that included should be the default, but as @Grace pointed out below, in the current state of affairs that would be messy in its own way.

On the upside, that would make it obvious that you have a nodal issue, especially if some outside issue (kids, boss, etc.) came up, distracting one from straightening things out right at the crucial moment. :grin: But I’m not sure that’s a very big up.

1. On the relatively easy end of things, would be being able to add multiple nodes at once, & have the workpiece tool dialog pop up at once, like it does when the piece is originally traced.

2. Another idea, which I think might be what you edited in there, is to click the previous node either before, or after the one to insert before any dialogs pop up.

3. Or start with the node before the node(s) needing inserted, click additional nodes until you click the next already placed node, & then it finishes.

I think that it might also be best to choose which piece to add the nodes to before choosing them, instead of after, (as it currently stands.)

My fancy is that my third idea is the best. :laughing:

:unicorn:

1 Like

I don’t see why it shouldn’t be possible. Although instead of opening the Workpiece tool->main path Dialog after the nodes are selected, I’d open it first, then it could also allow the option to drag and drop nodes into the path list at the spot you want it.

Yeah… not sure what I was thinking there. The nodes in a draft block are not necessarily in “path” order like they are in a pattern piece, BUT it could be possible to include other nodes in the selection used to identify where to place the nodes to inset… just think it would be too confusing to know you have to include the extra nodes.

I think option 1 is more workable. It’s more interactive, and some what solves the need to go back and forth between modes. BTW… I would apply the same logic to inserting “pins” ( another one of those confusing terms - the correct CAD / Vector drawing term is “anchor point”),… or anything that needs to be selected from the draft block to be applied to a pattern piece.

If some form of option 1 was used, you would have to select the pattern piece to insert into first anyway. Hmm… Which actually brings up another idea… to add the option to select which pattern piece the Workpiece Tool dialog is editing. Adding a combobox for the pattern piece selection in the dialog would allow you to work on / between pieces without having to keep opening & closing the dialog.

2 Likes

But it’s so quaintly sewingish! LOL :grin:

point. The benefits I was seeing might be largely neutralized by the need for additional instruction.

&

Yeah, that would be nice. (& I think the best term would be whatever term paper-drafters would tend to use for the same function. Whatever that is. However, considering how ubiquitous Adobe Illustrator seems to be, this might be another area in which following their example would not betray the Seamly vision.

1 Like

Quaint - So is “pin the tail on the donkey”. Lol

That’s one of the issues with using pin… it takes on a somewhat different “sewing” meaning.

Or Corel Draw, AutoCAD, Optitex, Gemini Pattern Designer, etc, etc… other pattern software like Wild Ginger’s Symetry simply refers to add a “point”.

The pin being… it’s a point. Pun intended. Lol

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ok, so in this case… The tail would be the label & the pattern the donkey :crazy_face:

1 Like