Created SeamlyMe in cm, attached to 2D, says inches

Hi Forum Friends! I am a Newbie to Seamly, but I am a patternmaker. I’m so excited, learning by following a panty tutorial just to learn how this works. I set up SeamlyME in centimeters. When I did the steps to attach to Seamly 2D to start, I see it says inches. How do I make it stay in centimeters? Did it do so because I’m on a Mac and in USA? I can convert all the numbers to inches to work but I would love to know how to correct this. Just learning happily and so glad helpful people are here!

Lisa

1 Like

When you create a “New” pattern you are asked for the units… which defaults to those set in the Seamly2D preferences. If you set the units to cm in the prefs, when you start a new pattern “cm” will be the default.

1 Like

Hi Douglas!

Thank you for responding. I am attaching pics of what I mean. I did choose cm in Measurement Table ME. Saved, attached into Seamly 2D and it reads inches. Went into Seamly Preferences at top of my MAC and don’t see any unit options.

If there is no other recourse, I will changes units to inches which I work in normally, remove the measurements from my 2D, and replace it. I’m thinking now, haha! Will have to learn to do that but believe I saw that somewhere.

Thanks if you have any more info. It is all appreciated! pic 1, cm pic 2 pic 3

2 Likes

Normally, when you create a new pattern, you get the option to choose Centimeters or Inches. Luckily, regardless if you created the measurement file in centimeters, it will convert it to inches in the pattern file in Seamly2D. As you can see with @cd, in SeamlyMe, you entered 27cm, while in Seamly2D, it’s telling you that it’s 10.6299 inches, which is 27cm divided by 2.54. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Understood… but the (New) pattern in Seamly2D is set for inches - as noted in the dialog @Grace posted - and 2D will convert CM measurements to inches. If you set units in the Seamly2D preferences to CM, the New Pattern dialog will default to CM, and you won’t have to bother with it amymore.

1 Like

BTW… as I was working on updating the new draft blocks naming I noticed another annoying issue. If you already have a pattern open, and choose New Pattern… a new instance of Seamly opens, but no New Pattern dialog… you have to select New again. Huh? So of course now I have to fix something else that should have been done years ago. < sigh >

2 Likes

It seems that each time you open Seamly, it’s like Panora’s box. You never know what you’ll find.

More like everytime I look at another part of the code I keep finding issues. That’s where my philosophy on programming differs ftom RT… it seems his idea is just add stuff and (maybe) fix it later, where I (try to) fix it BEFORE I add it. Which is why I’m stuck right now with some bad design choices. One of them being running multiple instances of the app with 1 pattern doc VS 1 instance of the app with multiple pattern docs. That’s kinda why there’s an issue with clicking New from a running Seamly2D… I have to find a way to start the app and open the New Pattern dialog, but only if it was started from an already running Seamly2D. It’s also the reason why I put a hold on my update to the Autosave - I still haven’t resolved syncing the prefs file between multiple running Seamly2D’s. But I digress…

2 Likes

Hi Grace, Thank you so much for the explanation. I thought I did something wrong or I had a glitch. When I do something totally new, I just go step by step, look up and say great! or what happened! Haha! So appreciate learning this new program, and your help!

Thank you, again! Lisa

1 Like

I can’t wait to get to the level where I understand exactly what you and Grace are talking about, haha! But I will get there, for sure. So glad you are able to fix these bugs.

Thanks again, Douglas!

Lisa

1 Like

I was basically referring to the way the Seamly2D app runs. Currently when you run it, it only opens 1 pattern file in a single window… if you select New (file) it starts another Seamly2D… and so on. Instead of 1 Seamly2D running with multiple patterns / windows - or tabs if you will. Running multiple instances of Seamly2D causes sync issues for anything that changes the preferences - as they all share one preference file. I would have chose the later option in structuring the app… for a lot of reasons.

One of those reasons - that I just discovered - is that when you do select “New” from a running Seamly2D, it just starts another Seamly2D as if starting for the 1st time, and you have to select “New” again to actually start a pattern. Since I’ve been working on the New pattern dialog, I thought I broke something. Nope, it’s how the original dev left it.

1 Like