Create point by cutting Lines or curves

Hello there, I wanted to ask if there’s a function to cut lines or curves at certain points, I know you can set a point across a line, but I meant create a new point by cutting so the rest of the unneeded curve can be deleted. It would be useful when you need to mirror something but only need a part of it (example: at the neckline when mirroring to create a placket)

Thanks for any answers or suggestions to solve this need :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think we’ve all wished this at one point or another, but your only option if you aren’t willing to get used to extra lines swooping around is to figure out how to make the curve so that it ends at the desired point in the first place. Unless I’ve missed something.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

You need to understand that all the lines and curves in draft mode do not represent pattern pieces. They’re only there as construction lines. Selecting points and curves for a pattern piece creates another set of lines and curves defining an actual piece outline.

That being said… if you could post your pattern and what you’re trying to do, maybe we could suggest another way to create a curve without the “extra” part.

Generally I find that I’m only creating curves - such as a neckline - already knowing the shoulder point and the center front / back point, where I just use a simple curve between the 2 points, and using a bezier formula in the control points to adjust the curve when measurements are changed. BTW… if you don’t formulize the control points curves can get wonky as the measurements change ± from the size you drafted them at.

3 Likes

I wanted to cut the curves to keep everything more tidy in draft mode, I guess I need to work around that then. But thank you for your answers :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You could set the curve’s linetype to one of dash - dot types, and the color to something lighter to be less intrusive… and place items in groups to hide them. Unfortunately for now this would be an issue low on my list of items to work on.

2 Likes

I totally understand that :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ich kann da @Douglas nur beistimmen. Ich versuche immer das meiste in Gruppen zu verstecken. Man muss sich jedoch immer merken wo die eigentliche Kurve vesrteckt ist, denn in der Spiegelung kann man keine Änderungen vornehmen:)

3 Likes

When I have a long curve that I know I’m going to want to reflect or move a portion of it, I normally do a series of curves between only 2 points at a time, using the previous curve handle’s angle in the 1st as reference in the 2nd one & so forth. This way, my curve is already broken up into smaller pieces and I can reflect/move as many parts as I wish.

1 Like

That’s all a “spline” is anyways… a series of curves, one leading into another. The caveat being that if one uses the spline tool, the end and beginning control points are automatically 180 degs apart.

1 Like