Changing the seam line appearance

Hi @Clauettedu02

Here is the latest weekly release:

Just scroll down to the very end and choose the file for your operating system.

1 Like

Not sure if the “What’s changed” in this release is up to date?.. the release should include “this” issue (seam line appearance) and a minor bug fix to it.

1 Like

Have you changed anything about this? I ask because this morning I’ve been working on a description of how it was working in April, & it’s not working as dismine described when he made it,) but it does seal up darts well, which it wasn’t doing last year (assuming I’m not misunderstanding the link.) So I was wondering if you had purposely done something, or if you’d inadvertently unearthed some buried functionality.

1 Like

I don’t think I did anything intentionally… I’ll have to take a look with the app on my laptop to refresh my memory. I’ll report back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I played a bit with the custom seam allowance. Don’t know what’s worse… the fact I found where the custom seam allowances are entered, or the fact I found where they’re entered.

I at least understand what I was talking about in your quote of me… when in the Pattern Piece Tool dialog → Paths → Seam Allowance - the items in the Custom allowance group box are still enabled even if there is no… ahem internal path set as a custom seam allowance. The group box items should be disabled if there are no paths.

It all seems a bit convoluted to me… is it an internal path? A seam allowance? A custom internal path? A seam allowance with an internal path? Why is there a list of SA → Custom internal paths which are seperate from the Paths-> Internal Paths? Why do you have to add a “Custom” internal path? Why not just add internal paths where the “type” can be edited in the Paths → Internal Paths list??? This is just another example of just tacking on more duplicate code.

That being said, as I was last working on the Pattern Piece dialog I was thinking of moving the Seam Allowances to it’s own tab. Given the latest discoveries, I would also investigate whether I can change the behaviour so that you just add internal paths. Then in the Seam Allowance tab you can add allowances to main and / or internal paths. The whole idea of “custom” seam allowances is redundant, as you can already customize the SA for a main path.

2 Likes

It was apparently supposed to make it easy to make a flared hem. I understand wanting to do hems as seam-allowance, but, since the process required making the same number of points anyway, the benefit is apparently totally cosmetic.

If I understand you correctly, it’s a separate tool from the internal path, just accessed through the same button. So I’d agree that, if it seems reasonable to keep it, it should have its own button.

My only pattern that removing the “custom seam allowance” tool entirely would ruin is the messy non-pattern I made testing every single tool in the toolbox. So it’s no loss, personally. I want to redo it as an actual pattern anyway.

:unicorn:

1 Like

Eh… all of this is a little above my pea-brain’s capabilities at the moment. All that I do know is that I need a stitch line, an internal path and a seam allowance that I can edit to different distances from the stitch line according to where the stitch line is in the pattern. I’d love to have more control over the SA cornering but this I correct when I’m nesting (which is a bit tedious when you’re nesting a number of sizes).

Another example where not knowing drafting / pattern making, and the terminolgy, RT falls short. There should be a “hem” or a “drop down” tool that automates the procedure. For ex: You should be able to select a hem tool, select the 2 points of the bottom of a (tapered) sleeve, enter a hem width, and voila the tool should automatically invert the taper while adding the hem.

It would be easier if I could attach some screencaps to illustrate, but I’m on my phone… :frowning:

Like Iike I said, it’s kinda of convoluted. When you select the internal path tool, and create a path, you have the option to set the type. Either Internal path or Custom Seam Allowance. If you select IP, the path shows up in Paths-> Internal paths list. If you select CSA, it up ends up in the Custom groupbox of the Seam Allowance tab. Neither one of which you can edit the IP type for. Once you save an IP it’s type is locked. It just makes no sense. You should just be able to create an IP, and then just add a seam allowance to it. I just don’t get the “custom”.

I would try to figure out a way to convert the pattern schema when loading a pattern with an older pattern schema to the current (max) schema. Pretty much like a some of the tools do. For ex: Updating the Val passmarks to Seamly2d notches.

2 Likes

Yeah… this is one of the last areas I’m still trying to wrap my head around - the geometry math, and what RT is doing with some of the SA routines. Thing is, it’s easy to just draw seam conrners on paper, it’s quite another trying to do it mathmatically.

2 Likes

Reading this thread, seeing the results, and understanding how much of excellent thinking and implementation @Douglas has done together with @Grace, @designereff, @Evica and @Pneumarian. I now realise how much time I have been using with FreeCad and 3D printing. I was using Inkscape to achieve what you @Douglas have implemented. I don’t need to think about automating transfers of patterns between the two - Seamly & Inkscape in order to project the patterns successfully. :smiley: :star_struck: :heart_eyes: :pray: :clap: Now my thoughts are twisted towards SeamlyMe and if body measurements could be taken with a mobile phone camera and successfully transferred to SeamlyMe. Great work @Douglas and all!

2 Likes

While possible, probably beyond our scope for awhile. I have thought though that a scaled down iOS / Android applet of SeamlyMe would be useful.

3 Likes

Kind of a form with measurement descriptions/graphics on mobile. A web form with scripts could do part of SeamlyMe functions and produce a measurements file?

1 Like

Yes… but you have to take into account all the “known measurements” as well as being able to translate them. Not to mention trying to produce a specific measurement file for a given pattern. Plus a form would have to “editable” so that measurements or variables can be added. It’s why importing a CSV or spreadsheet set of measurements is harder than it appears on the surface.

2 Likes

You might be right. Limited if done on the web. iOS/Android could maybe use much of the existing source code. (I’ve fallen off programming a long time ago.)

1 Like