Can't edit paths or create notches in macOS Big Sur 11.6

That’s what’s baffling me… I have checked the formula dialog against older versions of the source, and I don’t see anything different.? What is different is moving to Qt 5.15.2, different compiler ver, different workflow on Github.

The only thing I see is a conditional macos compile define to add certain Window flags to the dialog window. Theoretically it should be compiling correctly, as that condition is used all over the place for a mac build. I’m going to try and remove the condition, and just add the flags for all builds… like it is elsewhere like the Variables and History dialogs.

If I had a Mac, I could just run a build in debug mode and step through until the issue pops up. Most of the time you can look at the code at the breakpoint and class data and go Aha! BUT, of course that’s not an option.

2 Likes

so until i try with the older versions I can share that I used to have an older mac - until sept 2021 - valentine and seamly has worked beautifully on it.

In Sept 2021 I got a new laptop with M1 chip - might it be some incompatibility between the same old seamly with the new M1 chip?

2 Likes

I’m on Windows 10 & too scared to upgrade to 11 in case some of my old programs don’t work. I’ve never used or even seen a Mac, so I really don’t know.

2 Likes

That certainly could be… although it would be more a Qt issue, rather than the application code. Which would explain why nothing jumps out in the code where you go Aha!

Question is… does an older version of Seamly2D or Valentina run on the new Mac?

2 Likes

@Grace using Qt version 5.13.2 i am able to ad notch, insert nodes on pattern, and use fx. <=> hope this information helps @Douglas

i am still facing a small problem though which is that I am unable to control the direction or visibility of the notch, despite trying similar setting for A48 and A49. sometimes A49 isn’t visible despite the settings

1 Like

There’s a legacey setting in the Preferences to show second notch on the seam line… this also has to be checked for the notches to show.

At some point I’ll remove the pref setting and just use the one in the Piece Dialog.

And thanks for the pics… I noticed that the one check box is not displaying the whole “Show notch on seam allowance” text. Since I’m currently working on the Pattern Piece Dialog I can fix that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One thing I fixed tonight was to get rid of the double check boxes to show notches on the seam line… I made the checkbox in the preferences - well, a preference. This is one of those things I don’t think RT grasps… preferences are not to be used as THE setting, but rather a user’s preferred default for a new setting.

So now, if you have the Show second notch selected in the prefs, when you create a new piece the default setting is to show the second notch.

Likewise I did the same thing for the labels and grainlines… so NOW you won’t have to check those items as well everytime you create a new piece - which I find tedious.

2 Likes

It would be nice if the grainlines & labels defaulted to the centre of the piece unless otherwise specified or moved :star_struck:

3 Likes

is this on Qt5.13.2 Aug 31 release version?

1 Like

Hi @Karu, it will probably be in the Seamly2D release on Monday. QT is the programming platform that @Douglas uses to write the program and which, I think, you installed to get it working on your Mac computer.

You can get the latest release here:

It’s almost halfway down the page.

I need to update mine :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow… we must be on the same wavelength or something. :slight_smile: I was just thinking earlier the exact same thing.

More specifically I was thinking to have 1) User pref for GL and Label sizes. 2)The default position would be locate to the center of the piece rect when the piece is created rather than where it is now - the upper left corner I think… which would work for THAT measurement file.

But, you just gave me an even better idea. To add a 4th option (to the schema) for the GL’s and Labels - to locate to center of the piece so we’d have

1. No anchor - free floating- but still starting at center if piece
  2. Center on 1 Anchor
  3. Center between 2 Anchors
  4. Center to piece

Would still like to have a user defined size for the GL’s and Labels as the hardcoded “1” and “1 × 1” just doesn’t work well. Would have to make sure the code would still adjust the default size if larger than the piece.

3 Likes

Not sure if you’re asking me or Grace ir what that referes too… but the answer is probably no.

I’ve been working on updating the Piece dialog (and associated parts like the Pattern prefs), the notches tab being part of that… locally so it’s only on my machine. Once I get my fork resynced I’ll start making my work in progress available for others to test before pushing to the main repo.

1 Like

Wow! That sounds wonderful. I also like the idea of user defined Labels. I’d rather choose the font size than have to guess what it will look like if the label box is a certain size.

And I was also thinking that, since one can add the default labe template in the pattern preferences, wouldn’t it be better if the button was on the same window as where you select the label as visible? It seems a bit silly where it is now. Normally, I name my pieces 1st & then go to the labels to make the label visible & then remember that I haven’t added a template, so back to that, but in the meantime… when I have a default template that I always use, which really doesn’t feature anywhere else except in the defaults, so I have to go back & add a template (or create one), then bact… it’s backwards & forwards all the time.

I think that if one has a default template set in the preferences, it should automatically add it to the pattern piece, so if one forgets, it’s already there & one can always change it if you wish. And if the button is where you change the size of the label box, one can always click on Apply to see what it looks like & from that same place, change it until you’re happy with it.

1 Like

Probably more like the following Monday. I’m still working out some error checking details from rearranging the dialog tabs, and I would expect it longer to review a PR.

Teaser… the PITA superfluous “Fancy Tab” is replaced with a simpler QListWidget with new Properties and Seam Allowance items. The piece name and label data is moved to the Properties item - which can now be set when ADDING a piece. The Seam allowance tab is moved out of the Path list item to SA list item. This will allow to expand on SA features in the future… not to mention it makes it clear WHERE the SA properties are - not buried in a PATH tab. The labels are now tabbed Pattern and Piece label so the dialog is smaller width wise. Stay tuned. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, wow! Sounds exciting :star_struck:

Did you catch the screencap I posted in the Union Tool notch topic? That’s more or less updated look of the Piece dialog with the added Properties and SA buttons.

2 Likes

so the fx was crashing on a version that I downloaded in 2022.

@Grace advised me to download the version from 31 aug 2021 - after uninstalling the newer version and going back to the Aug 31 release, I am able to use Seamly.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the feedback, @Karu. At least we now know that 31 August 2021 is the last release that doesn’t have this problem. I suggest that you keep testing whether the weekly releases have the problem or not, as they become available.

1 Like

I’m going to try and see if I can see anything in the git history that may have changed and / or diff compare certain current source files prior to that date. Thing is the whole workflow has changed after that build from the Qt ver to the compiler ver, so the issue may not even be in the source code.

1 Like

Perhaps one should find out from QT about what needs to change to get the program functioning properly on Mac, which it isn’t doing since that update?

Perhaps they will have an easy solution.