Can't edit paths or create notches in macOS Big Sur 11.6

I can move but I can’t include/exclude nodes in Workpiece Tool on the mac.

It works on my laptop that still runs on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7, but Big Sur turns Seamly2d into a Big Dud!

2 Likes

So are you saying that the items in the context menu of the posted image are NOT selectable?

Also if this is the case what do other context menu do… such as right clicking on a point in draft mode?

Trying to figure out if this is a global issue, or just related to the paths tab list widget.

BTW… what build ver of Seamly2D did you try in Big Sur? Apparently some BigSur issues were resolved with Qt 5.15.2 which we recently switched Seamly2D to.

3 Likes

Yes. They are not selectable.

That works fine. I did not encounter any problems until I reached the “Add Details” stage.

I am using : Screenshot 2021-12-23 at 10.07.28

1 Like

But: This is the version I used on Catalina: The version on Catalina

Wheras on the Mac with Big Sur, I used: Screenshot 2021-12-23 at 11.15.16

2 Likes

Ok… got an idea what you’re using… I’ll try and take a look and see if I find anything that might be causing just that context menu to hang.

BTW… I’m not a Mac user so excuse my ignorance, but I noticed the odd placement of the trash icon - is this normal for a Mac? In Windows or Linux the menus look like this - where the (trash) icons / checkmarks are all in a col on the left.

context3

1 Like

I checked in both app-versions. In both the trash is placed to the right of the column.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks. Guess it must be normal then and not a concern for running under Big Sur.

2 Likes

@ MissMuriel

Hi Muriel

I took a look at the code in the section for the Workpiece dialog, and I don’t see anything that should be out of the ordinary. I have read a report of the same issue elsewhere, so it may be Qt / MacOs issue. There is maybe one thing I can see that might be causing the issue, but if that’s the case I would expect the same behavior with a couple other context menus.

If maybe you could check these menus as well I could rule in / out my suspicion… either the Group Manager or Pattern Piece dock areas:

ctmenu

If these work, then I’m at a loss at this time for the cause of the issue.

That being said… I may have misunderstood, but have you tried to open the Path context menu, then using the up down keyboard arrows to highlight an item, followed by to select / toggle the item?

2 Likes

Wow Douglas,

Thank you for your time with this!!

And I’m happy to report we have a breakthrough, so let’s dive in:

These work fine. No problems here.

Now for the issue:

Like I described before, in the Path context menu, I can select a node by clicking on it with the mouse, and when I Right-click, the little menu for that node appears. I can move the selected node up and down the path with either the mouse or the arrows in the path-menu window, but I can’t use the mouse to select/unselect the menu-items.

But when the little menu is open, I can use the keyboard arrows to select one of the three options, and by clicking ENTER, I can invert the selection.

In the previous version I could do all that with the mouse, but for now I’m happy it works in some way, because it’s much easier to use the software on the iMac than on the laptop.

Thank you for showing me the light!

Muriel

2 Likes

Hmmm. Like I said, now I’m baffled. These context menus are constructed in the same manner as the Workpiece paths context menu using the same method of grabbing the current mouse position. Other menus use a couple different methods to find & map the mouse position… which I thought might be the source of the issue. In an odd sense I was hoping that was the case.

Well, I’m glad we figured out something and have a work around. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For what it is worth I can say I see the exact same behaviour on Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra). I can use the mouse to open the context menu and do the selection on the group manager, but when operating on the ‘main path’ tab of the detail editor I can use the mouse to open the context menu but must use the keyboard to actually select something in the menu. If I try to click on something in the context menu, the context menu stays open and the computer ‘dings’ the little bell thing like you clicked on an option that was disabled.

2 Likes