About the Newbies category

Hello, I’m Kim from Canada and new to Seamly 2D. I’m trying this software to see if I can draw a simple bag pattern more precisely. I could really use a tutorial on the basic functions of the program and how to best use them. For instance, adding a point on an existing line.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I’m Annalee from Washington, DC, USA and I tried SeamlyMe and Seamly2D for the first time over new years. I’ve been sewing and drafting for many years, and trained as a theatrical costume technician before learning to code and joining tech.

I downloaded Seamly to re-make my moulage for my dress form, and I think this is the first time in my life I’ve ever gotten all the math right on my first try (I am dyslexic and very bad at arithmetic–turns out calculators don’t help if you enter the numbers in the wrong order). Being able to enter measurements in SeamlyMe and then refer to them via variable names in Seamly2D was a game-changer over trying to draft using the numbers directly, and my moulage came out almost perfect on the first try :tada:.

Since I was trying to learn my way around Seamly2D, I used the Leena’s Patternmaker Bodice Block guide from the wiki and omitted the ease to create my moulage. The only fit adjustments I ended up needing to make were to the shoulder slope and neck depth, which I took off the measurement charts in the guide instead of getting my own measurements (and I added a bust dart to the armscye because it’s a quick and easy full bust adjustment; for my block I’ll rotate the armscye dart and the top half of the princess seam, but they’re fine where they are in the moulage).

Anyway I’m really excited to have found this project and am looking forward to contributing once I learn my way around (most of my experience is in Python, but I’m trying to improve my proficiency in C++).

3 Likes

Hi Annalee! Welcome to our forum!

1 Like

Hello, i’m Karin from The Netherlands. I’m trying out this program. Thanks for making it open source!

1 Like

Hi there! My name is Ethel, I’m 32yo, from Brazil. Actually, I am a clinical psychologist, but I do reeeally love to sew in my free time <3 I’m completely lost trying to make a pattern in this software LOL Can anybody help me? I’m trying to make a base with my measurements to create new patterns, is there anything for download? Thank’s for the space and attention, wish you all the best"

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

I’m Allison and I’m a pattern designer. Normally I work in Illustrator but I really want to get into custom patterns so I been trying Seamly 2D out. Its been going well but today it has been crashing all the time. I have uninstalled etc and i’m guessing its not the London heatwave. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Seja bem vinda . Sou brasileira também Já estou fazendo alguns moldes sobe medida também .

1 Like

Hallo,

I am Daria from Poland. After 25 years spent in other proffessional areas I gave up and came back to my teenage passion that is sewing. I hope I can make a living from this. I started with Seamly2D few days ago and I am fascinated and so gratefull for this software. I have spent nights drafting my first pattern pieces and have already found some answers to my questions scrolling through this forum. Thank you all.

1 Like

Welcome to Seamly!

Whenever you need help understanding something please ask us! We’ve all been newbies before.

If you’d like to help with localizing Seamly to Polska :poland: we would be honored.

:unicorn:

I am Marco from Germany. i have seamly for a very long time on the laptop - but i dont find a way “in” the software. Most tutorials are in english and i am missing some good German Tutorials for a good “Howto” and a good description for teh tools in the Program.

2 Likes