About:Point Toolset

@JLM123: You had asked some time back about a manual of the Seamly2D tools. We still don’t have one, but here’s a possible entry for the Point Tools, is this the kind of thing you’re wanting? I welcome feedback from anybody:

As of April 11, 2022, (Name or capability changes are planned, or have recently occurred, for a few tools)

Point at Distance and Angle. Keys: DA

This is your most basic tool. Select the point that you want your new point to be a certain distance & angle from, approximate the new point location, (pressing Shift while selecting will bind the angle to one of the angles divisible by 45°,) & click. The “Point at distance and angle” properties box will pop up, allowing you to precisely place the new point. When setting the Angle keep in mind that reading it as a compass rose: 0° is East, 90° is North, 180° is West, 270° is South, & 360° is back East.

Point at Distance along Line. Keys: PA

For when you want your new point to have a linear relationship to two existing points. Select the point that you’re measuring from, select the point you’re measuring to, when the properties dialog pops up enter the formula defining how far your new point is from the first point you selected. Say Line_A_A1 is from shoulder to waist, this is the tool for placing a point at the bustline. It suddenly occurs to you that you wanted to draft a midi-dress, not a midi-blouse? Once again, this is the tool to use.

Midpoint between 2 Points. Keys: MP

The same as the last tool, but defaults to putting the new point at the midpoint between the base points with a formula of CurrentLength/2, so it always stays centred.

Point on Perpendicular. Keys: PP

Set a point forced to always be at the same angle in relation to a line. First select the point which you want it to be oriented in relation to, then select the point defining the line that it relates to. It defaults to a 90° angle in relation to the line, thus the name, but can be set to any 45° in relation to the line.

Point along Bisector: Keys: PB

Set a point at an angle bisecting the angle of three points. Select a point along one leg, select the point at the vertice, select a point along the second leg. When the property dialog opens, enter the formula for how far along the bisector you need the new point to be.

Point on Shoulder. Keys: PS

Set a point at X distance from a point, as a third point along in line with two other points. Select the base point, then the two line points in the order that points in the correct direction. The new point will not appear between the two points, it always appears farther along the line. If you want it between them you will have to use Intersection Point of Line and Arc. Note to devs: this probably ought to have an arrowed line.

Intersection Point of Line and Arc. Keys: PC

Set a point at X distance from a point, on a line measured between two points. Select the first point of the line, select the second point of the line, then select the base point. Whereas Point on Shoulder places a point beyond two points, this one places it at the first point that an imaginary circle crosses the line, –whether on the line, or beyond it, but never before it. Note to devs: this probably ought to have an arrowed line.

Triangle. Keys: PT

Set a point at the missing point of a triangle. Select two points pointing toward where the missing point of the triangle will be, then select two points describing where one side of the triangle should be. If the second line segment falls short of where the second line is pointing, the new point is placed at the intersection of both lines. If the second line segment crosses where the second line is pointing, the new point is placed at the right angle of a triangle with the hypotenuse defined by the second line segment, & the first line pointing at the right angle.

Intersection Point XY from 2 Points. Keys: XY

Set a point at the intersection of point XY in relation to two points. First click the point denoting the X point, then click the point denoting the Y point. A vertical line will show to help you choose your horizontal coordinate, & a horizontal line will be added to help you choose your vertical coordinate.

Intersection Point of Line and Perpendicular. Keys: PL

Set a point where a line segment drawn from the base point would be perpendicular with a line drawn across two points. First select the base point, then select the two points that control where the line being intersected would be. The new point will be placed at a location where a ray drawn out from the base point would be perpendicular to the line.

Intersection Point of Line and Axis. Keys: IX

Set a point at the intersection of a line & and a ray. First choose the two points that the line would be drawn across, then choose the start-point of the ray, & place appropriately. You will have access to a formula for the angle of the ray.

That’s all of them. & it only took me an estimated approximately five hours to do! The original is a google doc, which looks nicer, –since I didn’t fix the formatting when I copied it over, but I think not much different. (I do have the icons, which hopefully show for everyone, left-justified in the original, like they’re marking bullet-points.) & once again, input is welcome.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

TY. Nice job. Kudos.

Just keep in mind a bunch of the tool names will change soon - along the lines as the table Susan posted awhile back. For example… the point alongs become Point on [line, arc, bisector]. I’ve refactored most of the tool code to be name consistent across the classes, tool tips, menus, filenames, and icons. Frankly it’s been sort of a confusing mess. Also I think I updated that weird point intersect line and arc icon. Only thing I haven’t changed for uniformity yet are the XML schema tool names… as always that requires updating the schema and conversion code. Updating those names is only important if you want to edit the XML by hand… if you for ex: want to edit the “height” (huh?) or “normal” (double huh?) point tools. :wink:

BTW… maybe I can use descriptions you created in an extended tooltip? Or we could add them in some way as in app help… I hate online help or manuals.

2 Likes

yeah… that was weird to see.

That would be super! Although a proper manual would be a great addition to the forum help system, a proper set of inline tips would be incredible.

Indeed. To some extent I wanted to see if I could climb that mountain, & it’s also been nice to “have to” get a better idea of just how some of those weird triangle-type tools operate. I’m drafting a bit of nonsense using every single tool at least once as I work my way through to be sure I’m describing them accurately.

:unicorn:

1 Like

Yeah… the “triangle” tool is an odd one to figure out at first… or to even put a name to without getting to lengthy. It will be known as the IntersectAxisTriangleTool. If I followed the full naming scheme it would be PointIntersectAxisRightTriangleRightAngleTool. :slight_smile:

And who knew a “point on a perpendicular” is normal? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very well done! @Pneumarian

I also like the idea of the In Program help and the Tool Tips in the bottom left that help a person in stages when using the tools.

Oooh thaaanks a lot bravoooo

1 Like

I just did a quick search… it looks like Qt has support to create compressed keyword indexed help files. Of course adding help support adds to the translation can-o-worms. :hushed:

But, like I said I prefer help that’s in the app and not online. Sometimes you may not have internet access to read an online manual. Plus I sometimes like an indexed search, rather than having to search or scroll through a manual to find how to do something.

2 Likes