Measurement issue

Hello, I have been working on a new block & I noticed later that it’s in Inch measurement! Is there a way I can transform the file into CM?

2 Likes

Normally, if the measurements file is in inches, then Seamly will translate them into CM if you choose centimeters when you start the new file.

If you have accidently started the new file in inches instead of in CM, then you can edit the file in a text editor, as long as you’ve been using centimeters in the formulas, however, it won’t convert any inches to cm. If you have your doubts about editing the file, then please send it to me & I’ll quickly change it for you.

2 Likes

Is it better to have two measurement files one in centimetres and one in inches, I didn’t realise they didn’t convert automatically if I switched from either in a block.

2 Likes

No, the measurement files convert fine, it’s just the pattern file that doesn’t convert. So as long as you don’t try putting a two inch ease in a CM .sm2d (thus actually giving a 2CM ease) you’re fine.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply but what is text editor?

2 Likes

A text editor is is a program such as Notepad in Windows, which specializes in .txt un-formatted plain text files.

The .sm2d file is an XML (eXtensible Markup Language, the superset to which HyperText Markup Language (HTML) also belongs,) file which when viewed in Seamly2D presents as your pattern draft, but when viewed as plain text in Notepad it has some semblance to a programming script.

I hope that is more enlightening than muddling! LOL :laughing:

:unicorn:

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying. I still can’t get to grips with using centimetres I am in Uk and very old, I was brought up using inches. So I switch between the two to see what the measurements would be in either.

2 Likes

LOL, I guess it’s the same here. Luckily, I’ve been using cm for a number of years now and everyone else, except USA, are also using cm.

If you send me your pattern file, I’ll quickly make it inches for you. Unfortunately, multisize pattern files are not supported in inches, so you’ll only be able to work with individual measurement files.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the offer Grace it’s no big deal. I just can’t decide whether to bite the bullet and measure myself in centimetre’s, I have noticed for certain patterns they are a better fit in centimetre’s than inches

1 Like

You can just take your inch measurements x 2.54 and get the cm measurements.

Create a new individual pattern file that uses cm, import all of the measurment areas that are used in the pattern and insert your cm measurements.

You can add the other areas when you have a moment so that this file has all of your measurements in.

Save the file to a new name so that your can identify it later when you want to load it into the pattern.

Thanks again Grace you are a diamond.:gem::heart:

1 Like