Where/how to store results of temporary measurements

I will need the length of the armscye later in my project when drawing the sleeve.

armsgat

So, I need the lenght of all the segments between the point SAPV and A6

At first glance I did not find a measurement tool that allows me to [cltr] click on a series of contiguous segments to give me a running total of their resp. lengths.

What I did was: I went into the ‘Table of variables’ and added all the values manually (could not even copy them to the calculator as right-click does not work in the table of variables) from the ‘lengths curves’ and ‘lines’ which make up my armscye and wrote the value on a post-it.

I know that there must be a simpler solution than an off-line post-it to keep track of temporary data within the project, but I did not find it.

Any help is appreciated.

eijie

1 Like

Yes, the table of variables will always revert to 0, since it gets loaded first, before any lines or curves are made.

I would suggest that when you need the lengths of these curves and lines, go to the formula of the line that you are creating and reference them there as “curve + line + curve”. See the example below:

Thank you for the tip. I created a dummy hidden line with the length of all the segments, so that is solved.

How come I do not see any reference of that line in my linked measurement table? Initially that was the idea: Open the linked MT and add a custom value based on the total length of different segments through the formula editor. It was a no-go because I saw no references at all from any of the points, lines, … from the pattern where the MT is linked to. Although there are option buttons for those in the formula editor all those options return an empty list.

How do you upload some objects from your pattern to the MT?

1 Like

Everything gets stored according to the order in which the object was created. So I suspect that your ‘hidden’ line was created after the node that you wish to edit using the length of this ‘hidden’ line.

If this is the case, you will need to create the Hidden line directly after you have created the curves and lines so that the length will be available to any other formulas that you create after that.

This is where the History menu item comes into play. If you open the History, you will see a long list of everything that you have created. Here is a link to a topic where I described, in detail, how to add items at a previous place in the History list: Hacking Points in Pattern Files - #2 by Grace

Let me just mention again the importance of making a backup of your work under a different name before attempting this. And also the importance of selecting the last item in the list once you are done.

Maybe this video can help you?

It is in German, however
2 Likes

A very good tutorial. It will take some time to understand it for 100%, but that is no problem. Never too old to learn :wink:

Thank you @Dina

2 Likes