What's your user story?

Hi, everyone.

I’ve been sewing, on and off, forever. Since I can remember. And… after making all of my daughter’s evening wear and a few wedding dresses by mixing and matching patterns and draping material onto the people and cutting out, shivering and shaking as I go, creating multiple muslins before bringing a scissor near the expensive fabric, I decided that the way to go would be to learn how to create my own sewing patterns, but never went any further with that - thinking one had to attend a college or something to do that.

Anyway, from time to time, I’d browse the internet for software that would do that job for me but they were always highly expensive, or limited to certain styles. Until one day in Febraury 2017, I stumbled onto Seamly2D/Valentina.

It was free and I thought, oh, well, I may as well give it a try… (not very hopeful at all)

I downloaded the program and was totally blown away!!! My head was buzzing with all the possibilities that the program awoke in me, so I set out to learn the program and all the tools it offered and while learning that, I wrote the reference manuals.

And while I was learning the program, I tried a number of different pattern making books to learn how to create my own patterns… I’ve since created 1 or 2 articles with mediocre success and on Thursday bought some material. On Friday, I measured up my husband and created a shirt pattern. On Saturday I made the shirt. It is perfect :slight_smile: He is totally thrilled with it and is going to help me by gluing the patterns together and cutting them out for me - haha.

Now I must add…

While I was learning all this, a few ladies in town (our little sewing circle) were getting curiouser 'n curiouser. So last Saturday I gave them a crash course in using Seamly2D/Valentina. It was a whole day course and had them with their heads down on their laptops. They went home exhausted!!! But I think they were as happy as I am to have found the program.

A huge thank you to everyone ever involved in the creation of the program. It is totally easy to use, even for those who consider themselves ‘technologically disabled’ - If you know how to switch on your PC/Laptop, open the program and are willing to explore the tools, you will love making your own sewing patterns.

5 Likes

Good topic, it would be very interesting to read other people’s stories!

I am fashion design student. In our school, we usually just take pre-made patterns (our workshop has a huge collection of “Burda” magazine) and alter them here and there to fit our idea and model. It always seemed VERY unprofessional to me because first thing, you never really know how the drawing was made for that pattern and where all the major body points are, which is crucial to make good alterations, and second, these patterns were made for Germany, and Russian women are not shaped like German ones at all. Even models.

So for my bachelor’s diploma mini-collection, I decided to make my own patterns from scratch. I chouse Valentina because It gives me control on every point, which is exactly what I lacked in the method I used earlier. Also I did not know patternmaking that well then it turned out great and made me even more interested in the software and patternmaking in general so I spent the whole summer before master’s program started burying myself in textbooks.

Now I use Valentina in patternmaking class. My professor LOVES it :sunglasses:

Oh, and I just received payment for my first patternmaking commission for a small studio making evening dresses

4 Likes

Actually, also German women often aren’t shaped like the designers think :roll_eyes: Burda patterns normally fit quite well and function, compared to other patterns, but still also German women have to alter. And I think that’s quite normal. Every_body is unique, that’s nature :wink:

3 Likes

I just like sewing - this is my hobby, but I was always interested in how patterns are made (the geometric and mathematical side, let’s say), but hated the thought of making them manually. So I now enjoy making my own patterns. I use Muller system, but would love to learn other systems as well. Of cause , that sewing is just my hobby - I would not be able to buy a software.

2 Likes

I like sewing and making patterns. I tried Inkscape with the extension Steampunk Jacket, in 2011 and I followed the blog http://www.sew-brilliant.org/. This blog was written by Susan. But it was easier for me to draw by hand the patterns, and so I made them in this way. But I learned Inkscape very well, and I made the patterns with this software, developing my method to draw and then to print in a A4 printer. Then I don’t remember why and how, I read about Valentina. I think it was in an Inkscape Facebook group, but I am not sure of this. So I started to learn Valentina, I made two videos in my language (Italian), and now I am studying the transformations with this program.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I work as a tailor, mainly crafting traditional bavarian clothing for women, custom made, doing sewing classes and counseling start-ups getting into fashion.

At Meisterschule I learned pattern drafting by hand and I was always very unsatisfied with doing it this oldfashioned way.

Later I worked 6 years in heavy garment industrie learning and using CAD drafting and nesting with Lectra and Optitex.

During this time I always searched for an affordable or free software for private use and some day I found @slspencer s project steampunkjacket for inkscape and later Valentina…since that time I always had an eye on how the projects developed…

Since I have my own business I use seamly2d for all patterns I make. I have a stock on basic bodices which I adjust to the customers needs or style wanted. I use the tape measurement-charts to have the costumers body measurements or grade the pattern in different regular sizes.

That’s it so far…

2 Likes

Oh, wow! @schneiderkind, that’s so wonderful to hear. Thank you very much for sharing with us. Can you share a photo of the traditional Bavarian clothing that you make, please? I’d love to see an example. :blush:

@grace :Here is a work I did for promotional purpose, so it is a little more ‘fancy’ than usual: :blush:

8 Likes

Oh, wow! that is beautiful. Thank you very much for sharing with me :smile:

Hi everyone, I have been sewing now and then for most of my grown-up life. For many years it was mainly clothes for my children. Wedding dress for my daughter and evening “dresses” for myself. I cannot find much clothing for myself as I am stuck in a wheelchair, so I realized I have to make my own if I should have anything adequate, nice looking, and comfortable at all. I have made some summer jackets and winter coats for myself, but in time they wear out and have to be replaced. Somehow, your body also changes over time, or is it the clothes that shrinks over the bust and stomach? So, I need to make new adjusted patterns. I, or rather my husband, had found Valentina earlier but I did not find time to dig into it. Then I joined a University course in Textile design last year (University is free of charge here and also admit retired people, like myself) and had to make a lot of pattern drafts using paper and pen. I got fed up with this messy business and decided it was time to really learn Seamly. So far, I have managed to make a blouse for myself and a dress for my granddaughter using Seamly. Next projects are a winter coat and a good pattern for jersey t-shirts. As I have a background in Physics and Math, I really appreciate the mathematical possibilities in Seamly. Also, that it measures the length of curves, which is really cumbersome on a paper pattern. As sewing is a hobby, I cannot really pay for very expensive programs, so I appreciate that it is free. It would be nice to be able to contribute to the project sometime, as I find it a really good project.

5 Likes

Hi and welcome, @Berit. Thank you for sharing. Yes, I think it’s the clothes that shrink :frowning: I have the same problem. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Dear Team of Development, Hello Dear Forum Members

In the early 60s I learned sewing from my grandmother when I was a little child, after school I went further and learned tailoring, later I studied and finished different fashion schools, M&S and others…I worked as a patternmaker and fashion designer for bras, especially without wires and for underwear, nightwear, sportswear. Later my life changed and it was an totally new challenge to become a housewife far away from industry area, living between fields in the middle of nowhere.

I love sewing, I do not like going shopping for clothes, it is an nightmare for me, but I love shopping fabrics.

( at this point I want say, no matter if I have the knowledge, I would never sewing home-made Bras and I buy my Jeans too )

In the last years I fall for hand sewed clothes, (manipulate fabrics, inner and outer layers, in between layers and build in hidden stability ) Always each singe design start from scratch. For this “Hobby” it is necessary to make my own patterns.

My youngest son says to me it would be more comfortable to use software for the patternmaking procedure, he found this software.

At first I thought it would be to complicated for me and asked him for help. He read some of my old school-books, and I bought new books too. Together we made a simple Shirt for him. Yes it fits, it was my eye for good fitting patternlines and his knowledge working on computers.

Please, I am only a beginner and have to do a lot of exercising to come clear with the software, but what I can say: This software is a milestone and offers the possibility of construction every pattern you can imagine

Many thanks to the development for sharing this great software.

Greetings Carine

4 Likes

Hello @Carine. We love having you here and I found reading your story amazing :slight_smile: Thank you for sharing.

The software really is easy to use. If you can create a pattern on paper, then you can create a pattern with Seamly2D. The only difference is that you a sitting in front of a computer, instead of being bent over a table trying to reach the far corners of a piece of paper.

Just get to know the different tools in the software and the methods of creating curves nicely. The tools are easy to learn because there is always a small line of help in the bottom left corner of the screen, once you have selected a tool, to help you. And you can download a small manual in French here: User Manual - Seamly2D. There is also a manual for SeamlyMe here: SeamlyMe - Seamly2D but it is only in English.

For creating curves, this topic can help you: Curves with Formulas and here: Another "very mathematical" way of making curves!. If you right click on the page, you can choose to translate it into French.

Other than that, I’m sure you have noticed that we are a friendly bunch on the forum, who love to help where we can :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @Grace, Thank you very very much for your friendly welcome, I am glad to be here. Grace, I read some of you very helpful answers, and noticed that you have sky high mathematical knowledge, really great. Thank you again

Greetings Carine

P.S. Grace I am German, please excuse my beginner English.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Carine. No, my maths is grade 9 maths from school many years ago :blush:. And sorry for thinking you’re French.

Greetings.

For me there are a number of reasons I use this software. (although I am still a newbie with it’s use).

1. it’s free. I would love to say I can afford to purchase software for my pattern drafting, but most are out of reach for me. 2)Clothes off the rack, typically always have fitting issues. When I started sewing, I made so many fails, mainly because I would buy a pattern, and expect that it would look like it does on the envelope on me when done. *which never happened. Either it was the wrong style or there were fit issues. Altering patterns was and still is a bit of a mystery to me. I can do basics, but understanding the correct order and knowing which one to do first… :roll_eyes:
  2. I taught sewing for almost 20 years mostly to beginners. One common thread I heard over and over was I started sewing because I want to make my own clothes…clothes that fit well. The solution is to start with a well fitted sloper I would always answer.
  3. I have tried many methods over the years. with minimal success. Paper and pen, draping (which if you don’t have a good manikin isn’t successful at all), and purchased many books, videos, and countless pattern drafting systems that claimed to solve this issue. While some of these did work, their was always room for human errors.

Making slopers on the computer using formulas which will allow that one draft to be fitted to many sizes is the solution. Learning to alter that base pattern into endless pattern designs with the computer makes so much sense. I can not only make patterns for myself, but could eventually use them with students some day but just altering the measurement files.

I am so grateful to all of you who created, and continue to work on this program. And thankful for this awesome community who supports one another by answering questions and giving feedback when needed. The sewing / pattern making community is blessed to have all of you in it.

4 Likes

Hi @Sewing4Fun! YES these are all the reasons why! Thanks for sharing your user story.

3 Likes

Ich bin gelernte Schnittdirektrice und Schneiderin. Seit 1988 habe ich ein kleines Label das immer in den eigenen Räumen entworfen und produziert wird. Dazu kommt noch die Maßanfertigung. Bis vot vier Jahren habe ich mit einer Direktrice zusammen gearbeitet, die mir meine CAD Schnitte gemacht hat, da ich selbst alles noch auf Papier gelernt habe. Ich hatte immer den Ehrgeiz selbst Schnitte am Computer zu zeichnen. Für meine Ateliergrße sind die zu kaufenden CAD Programme aber nicht wirtschaftlich…Vor drei Jahren bin ich durch Zufall erst auf Valentina und dann auch Seamly2d gestoßen. In Stunden und nachtstunden habe ich mich damit beschäftigt und eingearbeitet. Mitlerweile mache ich alle meine Schnitte mit diesem Programm und bin restlos begeistert was für Möglichkeiten man damit hat. Dickes, großes Lob an all die Entwickler die an diesem Programm mitarbeiten.

5 Likes

Oh, wow! @Scholli. It is so nice to read your story. For 3 years (it seems so many more years), I’ve been enjoying your posts and respecting your knowledge of pattern making and now I know why you are so good. Thank you very much. :star_struck:

2 Likes