Welcome screen

Is it possible to focus on the initial topic : implementing a welcome screen, and choosing its initial content. It is my first attempt for a significant contribution in Valentina, and the project recently lost its lead developer, so please stick with pragmatic feedback… :slight_smile:

Here is a picture of current status of the UI. It is a view from the developer editor, so it is not exactly what would be displayed (build revision would be written, white frames would be pictures of the tutorial…).

What do you think?

I really like the idea of a welcome screen. The concept @yannlossouarn suggested looks like a good concept.

I would suggest that one of the first steps is that somebody build new binaries from source and test them (on each platform) to see that they have not regressed from the last build from the dismine repository.

IMHO, only after we have a new baseline would it be reasonable to add ANY new feature. This may not be a trivial issue. The documentation on how to do a build in each environment is not readily apparent. (at least to me). Please do not respond to the issue of a new build in this thread. I will start a new thread under developer for that discussion

Agreed Good idea… but I would fix some existing issues before adding anything new. In any case just a couple thoughts:

• Probably obvious, but replace Fermer with Cancel
  • Not sure if “issue tracker” is appropriate for new users for whom a Welcome screen is geared towards
  • Make sure there is content to fill the tutorials
  • Maybe add a button to launch Tape
  • In addition add the pattern ver which is different than the program revision.

@yannlossouarn, I would suggest that you start a new topic to see if you can create a space to discuss your ideas about the welcome screen. :smiley:

1 Like

(Please forgive any appearances of presumption. My coding days were looong before Github/etc., and never with a team.)

When I was coding and wanted to add a new feature, there were two things I needed to know right from the start: what does this depend on, and what could depend on it. As long as nothing depends on @yannlossouarn’s intro screen, can he not start coding it right now, and fill in dependencies when it is ready for prime time? If this is like most projects I’ve looked at, a simple compiler directive could -by default- disable it for everyone who didn’t explicitly enable it when they were compiling.

Does that make sense?

1 Like

No need to worry about that stuff these days with a branching version control system like Mercurial or Git. Any new feature can just be built on it’s own independent branch of the code and then merged into the main code-base only when ready.

@yannlossouarn, that mock up in the original post looks like a good start, but it also appears to be gigantic. I’m not yet familiar with Qt or how or if such a window would adjust to different screen resolutions, but I’d be concerned that it may not fit on a lower resolution screen.

1 Like

What is the minimal resolution we shall be compatible with? At this point, I achieved compiling a version with a “Welcome screen…” menu item, that displays the welcome screen, I can try compiling a version for your platform if you want to check.

16:9 is the current standard ratio.
Within that ratio, looking at the charts (with data from 2010!) on wikipedia,
it looks like 1280x720 is a good guestimate for the the minimum resolution.

At this point, the welcome screen size is 828x563 pixels.

1 Like

I would like to see the my-pattern.cloud tool linked to on a welcome page

1 Like

Hello @slspencer thank you for the great job you’re doing with Seamly2d. I absolutely love it! As an aside, can you point me in the direction of the patternmaking system you refer to? Perhaps there is a book that explains it fully?

2 Likes

I am not sure if you have a specific patternamking system in mind, but here is a link to the wiki page that contains information about several books on patternmaking. Any of these systems can be used to create a pattern using the Seamly2d program.

https://wiki.valentinaproject.org/wiki/UserManual:Patternmaking_References

1 Like

Hello @kmf, thank you for responding. I do know a number of patternmaking systems. My question to @slspencer was with respect to what she said about a patternmaking system that takes care of the bust cup size in situ. I’d love to learn about that system.

2 Likes

@LordRey, obviously I didn’t understand. I too would like to hear from @slspencer about what system that is because cup size adjustments is an are that I have issues with in my sewing

1 Like

Hi @LordRey,
Have you tried Esther Pivnick’s method? It’s an unusual method, yet it fits the bust using the highbust and bust measurements and doesn’t require adjustments. It’s from the 1950’s, but still available through Amazon, Abebooks, Bookfinder4u, etc:

How to Design Beautiful Clothes

2 Likes

Thank you @slspencer.

I’ll search out the book and add her methods to my ever growing patternmaking system reservoir.:grinning:

2 Likes

I have added a Welcome screen to both Seamly2d and SeamlyMe. Both provide a few of the basic preferenences new users can set without having to specifically having to set them in the Preferences of the asscoitied app. The user has the option to check the “do not show again”. Eventually the idea is to expand the Seamly2D welcome screen into a Seamly Dashboard.

3 Likes

And free as a pdf download from

[How to design beautiful clothes](https://archive.org/details/pivnickdesignclothes1949)
1 Like