Walking Patterns

curves
lines

Hello I am new to Valentina and I’m still getting my footing. I am trying to walk the side seam of my front and back skirt. Is there a function in the program that allows me to do that?

Do you mean you want to know the length of both seams so you can compare then?

Can you post a screen shot of your patterns in Draw mode? I can give you suggestions how to compare the lengths.

Hello, I too am curious how to compare lengths. Example, I want to make sure the inseams on a pair of pants are the same for the front and back panel, so that they will match when joining the inseams. I do not see a way to view measurement/length data the for a particular part of a pattern. It would be nice to be able to select a group of points and splines and see what their total length together would be.

Hint: Use the tools to create a point along a line or curve. Plus use the Bezier Curve Tool with control handles for important curves, this enables precise control for copying/scaling/manipulating/etc. Also, it helps to know the constraints for the pattern

Example: For jeans/pants, the front inseam curve from crotch to knee is a bit shorter than the back inseam curve from crotch to knee, and the extra fullness is sewn in as ease so the pants fit properly around the thigh. The tighter the fit at the knee, the larger the difference between the front & back inseam curves. Similarly, there is ease in the outseam from hip line to knee, which is greater when the knee is close-fitting (or the hips are large), and non-existent for stove-pipe trousers. This ease is important for good fit, and is usually ‘built-in’ to the formulas for jeans, pants, trousers. (if your jeans are made from stretchy denim then you won’t have this ease.) But there are three sections of the pants inseams & outseams where the lengths must match between front & back.

1. From knee to hem inseam
  2. From knee to hem outseam
  3. From waist to hip outseam

To check these lengths:

1. To create the back inseam from knee to hem: Use Point from length and angle tool at the knee. Use the length and angle from the front inseam’s knee to hem line.
  2. To create the back outseam from knee to hem: Use Point from length and angle tool at the knee. Use the length and angle from the front outseam’s knee to hem line.
  3. Create the back hip curve as directed by your pattern formulas. Pick the outseam hip point, and create a point along the curve (going up toward the waist) using the length of the front outseam waist to hip curve. Create the back waist line using the new point on the back hip curve.

I do suppose I could create a point along a curve to get me close, but that wouldn’t tell me the exact length. Additionally, I work mostly from the Lori A Knowels books, and her instructions would have you lower the rear crotch point commensurate with the amount of difference between the front and back inseams. I have never focused on the length between the knee and the hem as that is not in any of my design books.

You can not see the length of a line or curve on the pattern. What I do is create a point Then in de f(x) I choose the ’ length of line’ and select the lines I want and add them up (is this English?) and name the point as the length. Unfortunately when the length is long, the point can go to a place far beyond the pattern. It is a little, how do you say, fiddling but it works for me.

For Lori Knowles, you create a point going up the curve from knee to crotch that is the length you need. Then use this point as the new crotch point. You can get the length of the curve from the knee to the new crotch point, just like with the original curve.

Matching curved seam lengths