Video Tutorial No. 1: Curves!

Hey everyone,

So since the curve thing seems to be a recurring question, I’ll try to add to the existing (and super helpful) documentation with some videos on curves. I’ll simply post the links in this topic if that’s ok.

First off, I showed how to draw a simple 3-point curve with the “curved path” tool. No matter which pattern making technique you work with, the trick is to use measurements in your existing pattern to find or create solid reference points or lines for your curve to hinge on.

Link: Seamly2D tutorial: 3-point armhole curve - YouTube

Essentially you don’t draw a free hand curve, instead you use the values from your pattern to describe your curve. That way, If you scale your pattern size, the curve shape can move along smoothly.

Then I did the same curve again using the 2-point curve with fixed reference points. It’s a bit of a wild choice for the armhole, but I wanted to demonstrate how the two tools vary, and that it actually does work out: For the 2-point curve, you will have to hinge your curve on entirely different reference points than for the 3-point curve. I compare both curves in the end, and surprisingly, they sort of look similar.

Link: Seamly2D tutorial: 2-point armhole curve - YouTube

Thirdly, I did a video on a 3-point curve on the back armhole. Technically, it works just like the front curve, but uses different reference measures than the front curve. Check this out to compare the differences to the front, and also to understand that there are many roads that lead to a scalable armhole. The trick to curves in general is to use as little reference points as possible, and only as many as necessary.

Link: Seamly2D tutorial: 3-point curve on back armhole - YouTube

You are of course free to discover any measures, references, or angles that you think work better on your own patterns. These videos are only meant to demonstrate how to think of reference lines & points, and how to insert them into your curve options.

I hope these help a little. You might need to adjust the video quality, my default setting was pretty murky. Also, feel free to send some feedback so I know what to look out for in future tutorials. Sorry it took me so long to get this done, mastering the art of editing screen grab videos took a while. So far the videos are unnarrated, but maybe narration will make make sense in the future?

→ I will also get back to Douglas’ suggestion of doing a simple “how to get started with a pattern” later.

9 Likes

Super merci :star_struck: Je fais partie des personnes qui galèrent avec les courbes même si je m’améliore, je vais donc visionner les vidéos tout de suite.

Bonne journée

3 Likes

Those are great ! Very cool way of -

I also like the recommendation of -

I learned this early on in the Graphics world, not only to save on time but also keep file size smaller. This was when storage devices were counted in K-bytes.

3 Likes

As a freehand drawer of curves, I found the videos very interesting!

2 Likes