Valentina to Processing for 3D printing purposes

Hai guys! At the moment I’m working on 3D printed clothing. (Ultimaker 2) I’m using Valentina to create the pattern first, as it is very nice to work with. To be able to actually 3d print the Valentina file needs to be redrawn into, personally I prefer Processing, a program that can generate gcode. I was wondering if anyone is doing the same/wants to do something similar?

1 Like

Hi @Brig! Valentina is built so that we can send patterns to cutting tables 3D printers knitting machines

We need an API for each of these outputs. We would love to work on this with you. Send me email susan.spencer@gmail.com

1 Like

Blender 2.7 has an Ortho function for 3D modeling. Blender can read SVG.files. It’s just a hint, I have very limited knowledge of Blender.

As i know people who try Blender have problem with our SVG output. They expect curves to be curves, we export them as paths.

Oké. I didn’t know. I’m not inhibited by knowledge. :blush:

Thing is i do not take a lot attention to this task. Just don’t use Blender and don’t have need to. That’s why we don’t have working solution for this. And also nobody from community have reason to hack code and improve this part. But some time this will change. I find visualizing patterns very interesting.

Hai Guys,

@slpencer , I’ll sent you an email! @HansLeeuw thanks for the tip! The one I know of, that does this really nicely is Lectra. (never used it though and I don’t think it is open source either hahaha) However, personally I’m not trying to print the whole garment in 3D, I would like to print the pattern, so I don’t necessarily need to see a 3D model :wink: @dismine I totally agree about patterns being interesting! :smile:

Anyways to give what I’m planning to do a little depth: I come from an Industrial Design background and therefore use the program ‘Processing’ to show my concepts. In this case I load the .xml file (.val in the pattern file) into processing and tell it to redraw the pattern. This is where I’m working on at the moment as it is not as easy as it sounds… and would like to share this code if people are interested. After that the programming becomes specified to what you want to do with it. I would like to calculate density of the ‘fabric’ in bras :slight_smile: So that code becomes more limiting fitted to the purpose. Anyways, I was wondering if more people make this connection to Processing, then we can help each other!

1 Like

Hi @Brig, This is a fantastic workflow, one that I have been wanting for a while. I studied with Francis Bitonti in 2014 to learn the development flow of 3Dprinted garments. It is entirely possible to generate 3D printed garments from Valentina. You’ve been using Processing, which is great. A related project which would utilize a similar API is to generate machine knitted garments from Valentina. Please create an issue to the issues list about a new feature to output to a 3D printer. http://bitbucket.com/dismine/valentina/issues Thanks!