Use length of curve in pattern piece A in formula in pattern piece B

sharebetweenpieces

Hello, I am so loving this software, thank you very much for your hard work.

Today I am working on a pattern with two pieces: A and B. I want to use the length of a curve in pattern piece A in a formula for pattern piece B. But I cannot select this curve. I think because it is in another pattern piece. The two pieces are both in the same file and I am also working with the latest test build. May be there is a workaround for this? I hope someone can help me. Thank you so much.

Greetings Marleen

Hi,

You can use a length of a curve from pattern piece A in pattern piece B if it was created after pattern piece A. The order is important. Each next pattern piece has access to data from previous pattern pieces.

You don’t need to select a curve. When you create a formula click on button f(x) and open the Formula Wizard. Find inside it length you are looking for.

This edit may not be necessary, but here it is: You can use a length of a curve from pattern piece A in pattern piece B if pattern piece B was created after pattern piece A.

Thank you so much for your quick response. I didn’t know that the order was so important. Is this a subject that can be changed in future releases? Now I have to redraw the pattern piece because the order is not correct.

No, i don’t think so.

You should always keep in mind this fact. And some time better to create all pieces inside of one pattern piece.

Okay, can you please explain how this can be done. Because you don’t get a new starting point when you don’t start a new piece.

Usually people use Tool Move. All you need is to create a fake starting point.

Here is an example of creating front & back bodice points, all in one Draw pattern piece. Using the Seam Allowance tool separate Front and Back detail pieces can be created.

Yes, thank you very much for your hard work. Valentina is great ! Nicolas (Paris - France)

@m.vd.sterren Did this answer your questions?

Thank you for answers and tips. My questions are all answered now.