Understanding SeamlyMe/Tape

standardmeasurements
tape
seamlyme

Hi, there something that I really don’t understand. In Tape… Setting up standard sizes… We have the option to increment by size or by height. Would I use the height option when entering increments for, say, the shoulder to waist measurement? In other words… Any measurements that are vertical or up & down? Do all the rest then go into the sizes option?

Hi,

@Grace, sorry, but i don’t understand your question.

@dismine, I’m trying to figure out which measurements use the sizes and which use the height.

Would the waist to hip measurement be in the correct column in this image?

:slight_smile: No. I think you assumption is wrong.

https://wiki.valentinaproject.org/wiki/UserManual:Measurements

Ok, so am I correct in assuming that ONLY the height of a person goes in the height column?

Which height column?

In Tape, when creating standard measurements.

When you create a multi size measurements you select base size and base height.

Yes, I understand that part. But I’m trying to understand (my little pea-brain is in overdrive) how a length measurement will adjust if a person is short and fat. Obviously, the shoulder to waist measurement will be shorter than for a tall and fat person.

Yes, you are right about your worries. This approach is not universal. It works only if you have correlations. You can’t go from child to man this way. But it will work if you stick to some smaller group. For example several sizes and heights for kind of persons.

Ok, so when I’m entering a new group of measurements, do I only put the height increments that will be connected to the bottom left choice into the height column and all the other measurements go in the size column?

Somehow i can’t understand your questions.:sweat:

Sorry, I’m trying to finish the Tape tutorial, so I need to be quite clear so that I don’t show people how to use this tool in the wrong way.

It works only if you have correlations.

Can you please explain or give me an example of what you mean by this?

Ok, I’ll try again :slight_smile:

In Tape, you have the Height column & the Size column…

Is the Height column ONLY used to enter the Height increments? And nothing else?

This page descibes this part UserManual:Measurements - Seamly2D

Column? Did you mean comboboxes?

When you create a multi size measurements you select base size and base height. These are bases for calculation. Separately you could have measurements size and height in your list if you wish.

Thank you, I’ve studied the measurements manual but it’s still a bit unclear to me :frowning:

No, I meant the columns on the work screen

Ah! Great. So… Would one enter the waist to hip measurement on line 4 in the above image in the size or the height column? Where would the best place be fore it to create a very nice pattern?

I see now. You are totally did not understand the process.:slight_smile: When you work with multi size measurements you add measurements as usually. For example the waist to hip. And here is some “magic”. The column base value represents a value of this measurement in base size and base height. This is start point. The actual measurement value goes there. Columns in sizes (increment or step) and in heights represent how much measurement will be changed if move from one size/height to another up and down.

@dismine :heart_eyes::kissing_heart::laughing: Thank you very, very much.

So can I say that anything that can change according to the height of a person can be entered into the height column and anything that can change according to the bust size of a person can be entered into the size column?

Ok, don’t answer that. I’m sure this is the case :slight_smile:

This is how to create a standard size table:

1. a. Define the min height and the max height b. Subtract min from max, divide by 2. This is the body measurement height to be used in pattern formulas.
  2. List the body measurements you will use.
  3. For each circumference-based body measurement: a. Define the min & max values of the body measurement. b. Assign min to the base size. c. Subtract min from max, divide by number of sizes. This is the increment.
  4. For each height-based body measurement: (example: height, back waist length) a. For adults, the same value is filled in for all sizes in the table, increment is 0. b. For children, there is an age range and growth assumption in the sizing tables. Subtract min from max, divide by number of sizes to find the increment, assign min to base size.

TL;DR Background data on sizing tables: Government standard size tables group people into age ranges (e.g. Infants, Boys, Mens). Then they’re separated into height ranges. (Mens Stocky, Mens Regular, Mens Tall) Child sizes are a bit different than adult sizes because the height ranges are extreme, so the height increases with each size. Adult sizes have smaller height ranges (usually about 4") so the height for patternmaking is the midpoint of the range, and all sizes are made to fit the midpoint height. Adult “outliers” of an age/height group have special size tables (e.g. Plus Size Women).

Hi, everyone, my pea-brain has been figuring for over a week now and I think the penny has dropped. Please correct me if I’m wrong. If the standard measurements file uses the height as the base size of the person, then one must only use the height increment column… And if the chest/bust size is used as the base size, then one must only use the sizes increment column.