Tracing off a part of drafting detail to tweak while keeping linked to original?

I’m trying to do the “Pocket Draft for Trouser” instructions in HJA’s 5th edition (Indian subcontinent version), page 683. The instructions are as follows: “Trace the trouser foundation to the crotch level. Draw a lining using the measurements given. Combine waist darts (A) and draw a line down to the hem of the lining. Cut slash lines 1 1/2 inches down from the dart point and up from B to create a hinge. Close the waist darts and tape to secure.”

This seems to require that I be able to make a duplicate of some of my points/curves, and then modify those duplicates without there being any change to the original points/curves. It would be great if I could see this separate from my pattern block draft.

Is this possible?

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Seamly forum, @sue_in_victoria

Yes, it is possible, under Operations, find the Move tool and select it. Holding down the CTRL key, select all the nodes and curves that you wish to copy & move, then hit Enter. Move the selection to an area were you want it to be and click. In the box that pops up, you will be able to choose the directions, rotations, distance, etc., then click on OK.

Next, you will need to use the Rotation tool to close the dart on the duplicated & moved section.

1 Like

Oh so doing “move” makes a copy? Wow, THAT has to be the simplest solution to a problem I thought was complicated :smiley: Thank you - and so many thanks for all the great resources here. I’ve been learning a lot from reading past posts and getting excited about the possibilities here!

3 Likes

Yup! “move” & “rotate” both make copies, they don’t alter the original objects at all.

:unicorn:

1 Like

@sue_in_victoria

As well as the 2 “Mirror” operations… which make flipped copies. Unlike the original tool names “Flip” - which implies an object is just flipped.

It should be noted though that the copy is a dependent of the orginal source objects. That is, you can’t “Move” a group of objects, then delete any of the source objects. That’s where using the Groups tool to hide source objects that may clutter the workspace is handy.

2 Likes