TEMPLATES and Pattern Systems

I am creating this thread for the discussion of templates. I intend to create an XML file which represents the content I posted in the wiki at https://wiki.valentinaproject.org/wiki/McCunn.

I hope that the wiki page and XML implementation will serve as a model for implementing templates for other pattern systems. I invite anybody who has interest in the software that uses measurements to comment on the usability of this form of template.

My goal is to present to a user of the software measurements in the terminology described in the patternmaking system. The internal representation of measurements will not change - the pattern system name will be mapped to a “known measurement”.

@slspencer and I have agreed that it should be possible to map all measurements of a supported pattern making system to an internal known measurement. If that is not the case, then a known measurement needs to be added. She reviewed many patternmaking systems in the process of compiling the known measurement list, so it is unlikely that there will be one that was missed. She has documented a process for adding a measurement by creating an issue on the repository.

2 Likes

Here is a pointer to a previous thread that started this discussion

and here is an excerpt of the relevant notes

Measurement, individual

individual .vit files contain all measurements
improve measurement selection - make it visual
implement default filters, create checkboxes:
    current pattern measurements
    my Favorites
    hide zero values
    pattern system measurements
    no filter - show all

Measurements, multisize

multisize .val file creation needs new dialog box to enable range of sizes
additional changes from notes from previous meeting

@KeithFromCanada when you have the time to look at a way to stucture the specification for measurement files, please take a look at this document https://www.openoffice.org/xml/xml_specification.pdf

specifically, I find section 1.2 Structure of Open Office XML documents to be an interesting staring point for creating a specification for .vit files. I hope to do as much I can in the next few days to create a template for the McCunn patternmaking system measurements and document it as well as I can in the time that I have. I hope this will help you when you begin documenting the .vit file structure and provide a path to any changes or extensions that you want to propose or discuss.

1 Like

there is an existing issue

New feature: Create namespaces for Valentina files #644

I would like to propose that the template be implemented as an XML file and that the file name extension be added to issue 644

1 Like

issue #576 New export: Export Measurements for Body Measurements App/Widget has a good information in it that is probably relevant to those interested in measurements

1 Like

For those interested in the direction I propose on templates, I am looking at XML Search Suggestions Format Specification (Internet Explorer) | Microsoft Learn specifically the section on their search selection format which appears to be intended to hold searches created by a human. This specification is probably overkill and the template probably needs to be a subset of this or something completely new

1 Like

Since I’m most familiar with the Croonborg Blue & Red systems I could do a wiki and subsequent templates.

If I understand correctly when you speak of templates and pattern systems can I take that to mean to have the pattern making system selection in the Prefs actually do something? Like automatically create a new measurement file based on a pattern system template? Where the pattern system names are mapped to the corresponding known measurements - much like mapping a computer keyboard or mapping a midi keyboard?

There’s also another early 1900’s period system I’ve used by Harry Simmons - Designing for Sack Coats, Dress Coats & Vests, It’s similar to the Croonborg Redbook… has a better draft of riding breeches. I don’t think it uses any measurements not already “known”, but I can check. Maybe also a system to add to the Pattern Systems list.

2 Likes

Douglas

If I understand correctly when you speak of templates and pattern systems can I take that to mean to have the pattern making system selection in the Prefs actually do something? Like automatically create a new measurement file based on a pattern system template? Where the pattern system names are mapped to the corresponding known measurements - much like mapping a computer keyboard or mapping a midi keyboard?

YES

In addition to the McCunn table of measurements, someone has created one for the Aldrich Men system.

https://wiki.valentinaproject.org/wiki/Aldrich_Mens

I think it would be wonderful if you could create similar content on the wiki for the Croonborg Blue & Red systems.

I am not sure whether you are aware that I am about to be traveling with no internet from mid October to late December. I may or may not work on the template during that time. I will do what I can before I leave next week. If you or someone progresses without me or in a different direction, we will just sort it out when I get back. I am not so attached to the issue that I would turn down somebody else’s workable solution.

You can now create the measurement mappings directly on seamly.cloud and manage sets of measurements accordingly. I could define an XML schema for this information if that would be useful, or a static link from the wiki to seamly.cloud, or output the page as HTML ready to be dropped into the wiki?

I have uploaded a walkthrough to https://forum.seamly.io/t/pattern-share-website-user-registration

1 Like