Technical writing?

Hi, I’m a dressmaker and a pattern drafter and I’d love to get involved with your project. I work as an editor and indexer and so I think possibly the best role for me would be as technical writer - also I’d like to brush up on that skill. Can you fill me in on how to go about this please? I haven’t worked on an opensource project before. Róisín in Ireland.

Hi Roisin!

Welcome to the Valentina community!

We’re very excited that you are interested in this project. You bring some wonderful skills to the group – you understand patternmaking and you are experienced with technical writing.

To jump into the project, have a look at our user manual: https://bitbucket.org/valentinateam/valentina/wiki/manual/v0.2.9/Content

You might start by downloading Valentina, and crosswalking it with the manual. You’ll probably find areas that need clarification or additional videos or graphics. Also, you might wish to clear up grammar or typos!

Again, welcome to the group and we look forward to hearing more from you!

Best, Susan Spencer Valentina Community Manager @ValentinaPSW

Hey Roisin,

We’ve had someone recommend Gitbook (www.gitbook.io) to implement Roman’s idea for an online book which guides the user from beginning skills to advanced.

I’ll try setting this up and get back with you and Roman.

• Susan

Hi,

Thank you that you give me such a great idea.

Can you fill me in on how to go about this please? I haven’t worked on an opensource project before.

Actually i see it little bit independent from Valentina. I always liked big books about all. Like a Bible. You need to know one book for all. In my home land we had good tradition make books that allow reader begin read with 0 level of skills. I dream have such book for Valentina.

Yes we have Wiki, but Wiki have different style. In book i want to see examples, chapters about cultural differences in other countries. I want see much more than we have in Wiki. All aspect of using program inside one book and even beyond of that.

Too big task for one man, but if we will find place where each can easily add text, like in Wikipedia, we will easily create this book. It will grow with project. Discussion around a book will force developing. I almost sure that we have many peoples that have what to say about pattern making .

I speak about book because don’t see how several technical articles can change situation. Maybe i am wrong.

Does someone know place where we can work together to create such book?On Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 3:28:23 PM UTC+2, susan.spencer wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Róisín Nic Cóil niccoilroisin@gmail.com Date: Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 6:55 AM Subject: technical writing? To: contact@valentina-project.org

Hi, I’m a dressmaker and a pattern drafter and I’d love to get involved with your project. I work as an editor and indexer and so I think possibly the best role for me would be as technical writer - also I’d like to brush up on that skill. Can you fill me in on how to go about this please? I haven’t worked on an opensource project before. Róisín in Ireland.