Takes hours to create svg layout then fails to generate file

I carefully followed the directions on the walkthrough titled “export shared pattern” posted online. (pdf of walkthrough attached to this message) Unfortunately, when I clicked “create svg layout” and then click “generate layout” it said it was “processing” for hours and then finally failed to generate the file. Does anyone know what might be going wrong?

Walkthrough - Export shared pattern.pdf (641.4 KB)

2 Likes

Hello & welcome to Seamly2D, @graceh

You don’t mention whether you are trying to generate the SVG file from Seamly2D or from the Seamly Pattern Cloud. If you have downloaded the pattern and are working directly from Seamly2D, then please send me the file (.VAL) and the measurement file (.VIT/VST) and I will be able to have a look at it for you. Also mension which version of Seamly2D you have, please.

If you are working directly from the Seamly Pattern Cloud, perhaps @MrDoo can help us?

1 Like

Thank you for the help! I was working from the seamly pattern cloud.

2 Likes

Ok, @MrDoo will receive a message and I’m sure he will stop in soon to help you.

1 Like

This export process can fail unexpectedly. At this stage in the processing the site invokes a copy of Seamly2D in the background and asks it to do an export. This is a making use of relatively unused feature of Seamly2D. If the failure is repeatable then there may be an element in the pattern that Seamly2D isn’t handling well. It would be useful to track this down so that I can make these auto-repair before export if possible.

I’m very close to updating the site with some changes that include the ability to generate the SVG in the site itself, directly in your browser. This is much quicker (instant), as it doesn’t need to wait for a copy of Seamly2D to load up. Invoking Seamly2D will still be required for optimised layouts and PDF.

If you message me with your account name, and if you’re happy for me to investigate, then I can take a look at the error logs. It would be useful to have an accurate timestamp (and timezone) for the failure. Alternatively it would be useful to know whether exporting the .val and .vit and loading them in Seamly2D produces.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! In that case, I will just wait till you make those updates to the site and try again. Do you when that will likely be?

2 Likes

I have updated the site with the latest changes.

Currently it is still only supporting up to 0.6.1 format files. Hopefully i’ll be able to support new format files soon.

On the Blocks/Pieces tab there is now a link ‘All pieces export’’ which should render the pattern as SVG in the browser and allow a download. There are various things that need finishing. Please let me know if this doesn’t workk for you as this will help me resolve issues.

2 Likes