Stop Pieces From Rotating in a Layout

Is there a way to prevent pieces from being rotated and/ or flipped when creating a layout? Even if it take up more space?

Yes.

Select File Menu ->Preferences Click on the Pattern Button in the left pane Check ā€œForbid Flippingā€ under workpiece

OR

In Detail Mode Right Mouse Button Select ā†’ Options for the detail piece you want to prevent flipping Check ā€œForbid Flippingā€

Ok great thank you. So I assume this means I can only prevent flipping, and not the rotation of the pieces?

1 Like

Rotation is irrelevant in layout mode. A layout is not meant as a cutting marker in the normal sense. Think of a layout as the sheets of a commercial sewing pattern where you have to cut the pattern pieces out to then place on the fabric to cut.

1 Like

I know in the normal sense of the use of a printed paper pattern, rotation doesnā€™t matter. But I am saving the layouts as an SVG, which I am then opening up in adobe illustrator. Then I select and separate the pieces so I can nest pieces of multiple sizes to create a new layout with all the sizes shown on one layout. Since itā€™s rotating the pieces, and not rotating them all the same I am having to use the grain line as a guide to unrotate all of the pieces so they will nest together in a cohesive manner. So no it doesnā€™t matter for cutting a sewing a printout from Valentina directly, but it adds extra steps when creating digitized patterns with more than just one size. I would say that the rotation of the pieces in this case is relevant. it would be nice if there was a way to prevent rotation as well as flipping.

2 Likes

Here is an example of what Iā€™m doing with the pieces:

Val screenshot2

Can I assume you attached a png? For some reason pngā€™s upload buy donā€™t displayā€¦ jpgā€™s work. Anyhow I get what youā€™re doing. If you want Iā€™ll add an issue to the repo to restrict rotating as well. I picture it added as an option like the no flipping.

No it was a JPEG, but it isnā€™t showing up for me either. Iā€™m not sure why because it shows up on the preview. But since you understand already there is no real need for the image.

As a option would be great. I understand this is all still under development and as a newbie donā€™t want to come across as demanding or anything. Just something I have found that would be a nice addition to this already very valuable program.

On a side note. My computer is no longer automatically adding the code that copies bits of the conversation into my reply. I am not a computer programmer and donā€™t know how to fix it. Is there something simple Iā€™m missing? I am selecting the text I want to refer too, copying it, and pasting it into the reply editor, but it isnā€™t doing the references back like it did in the learning conversation I had when I joined the forum. Sorry, Iā€™m a newbie

Never mind on this. I figured out what I was doing wrong

Hmmmā€¦ I usually donā€™t have a problem with jpgā€™s displaying. I created a new topic asking about the pngā€™s displayingā€¦ hoping maybe someone has a clue.

I believe down the road markers will be a needed feature, so to be able to restrict rotation will be neccessary - especially for one way fabrics. Itā€™s a good ideaā€¦ Iā€™ll take a look at it.

I took a look at the issue of restricting rotating pieces in a layoutā€¦ the idea was already brought up and I guess Roman chose to not address the issue. He made reference to being able to export the details without a layout, but that still does not address the issue. Itā€™s a lot more complicated than restricting flipping. Assuming keeping the grainline of all pieces in the same directionā€¦ need to determine what angle each grainline is at. For starters, a grainline can be placed between 2 pins at any angle, centered on 1 pin, add to that a grainline can (then) be rotated at any angle. In addition some pieces may not have a grainline at all. In other words itā€™s not a case of restricting rotating pieces, but rather rotating each piece (if necessary) to align itā€™s grainline in same direction (of the paper) as any others.

2 Likes

That does sound quite complex. Iā€™ll see what I can do with the exporting from layout mode for now.

1 Like

@caychochang - can you upload your file again ?

Val screenshot2

1 Like

Hi @caychochang, How about trying this:

• Check ā€˜Ignore marginsā€™ (You can add margins in Illustrator)
  • Uncheck ā€˜Rotate workpieceā€™

My version of the program doesnā€™t look like that? Iā€™m using version 6.0.409a is there a newer version I need to load?

Oops! My Ubuntu version is one version too farā€¦sorry about that. Can you uncheck the Rotation box, that might reduce the number of pieces that get rotated - it doesnā€™t eliminate rotation, as some of the smaller pieces will be rotated to fit between the large pieces.

1 Like

Am I mistaken, or wouldnā€™t it be better to have Grainline Angle: (with a formula box) in each piece & something like Lock to grainline in Layout? That way, the user could set a grainline with a defined angle for each piece, and the layout would use that angle to rotate the piece to the desired direction. I could see it being useful if you wanted to machine-cut fabric from your pattern with some pieces being cut on the bias.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I suggestedā€¦ but itā€™s a bit more complicated than thatā€¦ what if a piece lacks a grainline? At any rateā€¦ This has to be resolved in the future if weā€™re to be able to generate a cutting marker - not to be confused with a layout.

If it doesnā€™t have a grainline, then its orientation in the layout doesnā€™t matter.