I started using Valentina a few days ago. I’d been creating sewing patterns in Inkscape and was just about to look into generating my svg pattern files using Python to place the measurement parameters, when I wondered whether anyone had already done something similar. That’s how I found Valentina, and I’ve since used it to print an A0 mens shirt pattern that I’ve cut and sewed.
I have a few comments on the software.
Workflow: I really like the three-stage workflow: draw, details, layout. It took a day or two for me to appreciate how powerful this is: multiple patterns can be generated from a single set of drawings. I get the impression this is akin to how professional designers work.
Line width: In the Preferences pop-up I have tried to change line width to 2 mm to make pattern cutting easier. This has had no effect. I thought perhaps that I might need to select OpenGL render, but when I did Valentina failed to reload and I had to reinstall it, making sure not to reuse my settings. I guess I could have tried downloading and installing the missing dll, but it all seemed to be getting a bit out of proportion. I can live with the default line width.
Labels: I struggled with this feature at first, because I assumed that if I applied a template it would overwrite manual settings for parameters such as alignment. All lines in my labels were stuck in right alignment until I resaved and reloaded the template.
Layout: This seems a bit hit-and-miss. I know my pattern can be arranged on a single A0 sheet, but Valentina often doesn’t. If I fiddle with layout parameters I can sometimes get it to work. Other times I just export svg and do the layout manually in Inkscape before mailing the design to the print shop.
SVG export: I was surprised that all objects were in a single group when I opened the svg file in Inkscape. I nearly always have to ungroup them and then regroup them into separate pattern pieces, which would appear to be the most logical way to export them.