Skirt pattern

I put the skirt I just made, with some kind of measure maybe somebody can please. I am very happy because I’m learning to use Valentina with these basic models.

gonnasvasata.val (7,1 KB) laura.vit (1,4 KB)

1 Like

Wow! That’s very nice :slight_smile:

Here is a post with a link to a site where you can upload all your patterns and share them if you wish:

They are trying to get more patterns on it.

ok, thank you Laura

thank you for this pattern, i am learning Valentina too and also try to make a basic skirt pattern . Unfortunalety i cannot open your file, i get the error message that this Version does not work. Which Version of Valentina your are using ? best regards Helga

@Helga, I was able to open @laura’s pattern in the latest Test Windows version. I had to tell it where I had saved @laura’s .vit file before the .val file would open.

2 Likes

ok, thank you for this hint, i will try this, these evening best regards Helga

I first loaded the .vit file from Laura then tried to open the skirt file. An Error occured again, wrong Version. I have the Version 0.5.0.1. do I need a newer one ?

@Helga - The error message is a bit vague, and it means that you need a newer version.

Thanks for the info, but I have Version 0.5.0.1 and the error message says that i need minimum 0.4.x. Is there a newer Version than 0.5.0.1 ? yesterday i tried to load a newer one, but i did´nt found one

The error message is somewhat misleading. pattern version 0.4.x is different than software version 0.5.0 The error message would be more helpful if it stated the software version which supports the pattern version.

2 Likes

I am both new to Seamly2D and to pattern drafting. So please forgive me if this sounds like a basic question.

I have started using this software and have successfully learned to draft a skirt block using Winifred Aldrich book, 6th addition. The measurement table I set up is for a smaller size than what I would do for myself. I did this so that I can hopefully size up or down from this pattern.

Where my issue seams to come in, is when I load up my body measurements (where my waist and hip are almost the same. I am pretty straight). My pattern looks great in the smaller size, but in my size the hip curve is off. No matter which tool i use to draft it. My best so far was to use the segmented curve from waist to highhip and then to hip. Adjusting the handles to make the line almost straight. It looks like a rectangle now. Could this be right? I added images of my skirt, the page from the book I am using and the original draft. If you need the actual files, let me know I can upload them.

Thank you for your help.

smaller skirt

2 Likes

Just for reference, here is another image which shows what happens when I changed from the smaller measurement file to my larger one. The hip curve is my concern.Everything else looks fine.

wonky hipline

2 Likes

My awesome-but-basically-untrained-so-YMMV intuition says that based on

this is probably the correct result.

Does the “Detail” look okay or is it really weird? The dart “eye” is formed because the leftward curved A17_A6 & rightward curved A5_A6 splines are necking. Creative use of mathematical Functions can change, & probably fix, this if it’s a problem in the “Detail”.

1 Like

If I leave it the way it is in the last image, yes it does not look right in the details page. This is why added the high hip reference line (using the same formula as I did for the hip) and then redrew the hip curve from waist, to high hip and then to hip. (A5 to A30 to A6). I then used the flipping tool to create the same curve on the front. (A17 to A30 to A6). Then straighten out the curve using the handles. This created a much better result in the details. My only concern is how will this look if change sizes again. My guess, is I may always have to modify the hip curve.

I feel this will sew up better, but just wanted to see if anyone with more experience could shed light on this for me.

2 Likes

@Pneumarian If I may ask, what do you mean by this statement?

2 Likes

I was just experimenting with this, & didn’t have to use Functions after all, just normal functions. In my experiment, using the Simple Curve I had the bottom Control Point at 90°. The top Control Point was set at AngleLine_D2_D6-270+AngleLine_D2_D6, which for yours would be AngleLine_A5_A6-270+AngleLine_A5_A6, (replace A5 with A17 if redrawing instead of flipping.) So the farther apart A5 & A17 are, the more rounded will be the curves, & the closer together they are the straighter will be the curves. When A5 & A17 are both straight above A6, there will be no curvature to the straight line.

I think that this will also save having to make manual adjustments.

But, yes, I think the question of the effectiveness of this solution calls for input by someone with experience with patterns more than pattern recognition. Or a muslin.

2 Likes

@Pneumarian Thanks for experimenting on my behalf! I’ll give this a try tomorrow.

2 Likes

This seemed to work. I did flip the line rather than redraw. The line does appear to be straight from waist A5 to hip A6 as well as A17 to A6. In fact they appear more like the same line.

When I changed back to the smaller size pattern it also appears to be a fairly straight line from waist to hip, but at more of an angle due to the narrower waist point. Next step is to print these out and sew up a muslin.

Thanks for you help.

2 Likes

Yay! I’m glad it was helpful! :unicorn:

1 Like