Segment curve from intersection of two curves

Hello.

I’m working on a men’s selvedge jeans draft and I’ve encountered a problem. I need to make a point where the outseam and bottom of the waistband seam intersect, circled in red. I then need to add a point along the bottom waistband curve at a specified distance from the point in red to mark the location of the pocket facing, circled in blue. I know how to add the point in red, but I can’t reference that point when trying to segment that curve for the point in blue.

My previous solution was to mark the distance of the pocket facing on the horizontal “HipDrop” line and use the point intersect curve and axis tool. This is an ok workaround, but it isn’t quite as accurate without doing a bit of math.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

p.s. I’ve been using this program for about 6 months now and I really love it!

2 Likes

The only thing I can think of is tracing the dotted line between the red point & FlyWidth. However, I’m probably one of the least experienced around here, so maybe there’s a better solution already available. But I am halfway decent at poking things until they break, so I don’t think there is. All the other methods I’ve thought of so far require straight lines, & it sounds like you’re wanting better precision than that.

@slspencer Perhaps “Point intersection curves” could segment the curves in the future?

1 Like

Hi & welcome, @skinnerjeans

First create the node at the intersection of the curve am/A18 using the point at intersection of curve and axis (in your case the point intersection curves) tool.

This will make the RedDot node available for use in further formulas.

Then you can use the (in my case, I used a simple curve) segmenting a simple curve tool to create a node the required distance from the red node:

To create the formula, go to formulas, then select Length of curves and select the am to RedDot curve. Add on the value that you require.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ran into the same problem as the OP and the above explanation helps. However, if you use the point of intersection curves tool, this creates the point but you cannot use this point in formulas (in the above it won’t create Spl_am_RedDot).

The workaround for this is to also use the point at intersection of curve and axis tool and select one of the curves again and as axis choose the point created by the first tool (the angle doesn’t matter). This will create a new point at exactly the same position, but this one can be used in formulas.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Forum!

Thank-you for bringing a solution that works elegantly! I especially love how you used what I have considered to be an inconvenient issue as a desirable feature! :cookie:

:unicorn:

1 Like