SeamlyMe Information Notes display in Seamly pattern?

Hello, I have a number of SemlyMe individual measurements for one Pattern. Customers come with special non numeric requests, that I added to Notes in the SeamlyMe Information tab.

In Seamly2D I use “Edit label template” to display names (%customer%), filename (%mFilename%) etc. I would like to have the note presented as well. Is there any option for that? Similar to %mNote% perhaps for referening the contents of the SeamlyMe note?

2 Likes

This is a fascinating idea! It seems like it might be good to have a call for all the textboxes.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

When I’m at my laptop and get chance to look the app and code I can be more specific, but offhand I don’t see why the ME notes could not be part of a label template. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I assume Note to Template requires a programming effort and a new software package.

1 Like

Yes. Actually will take a bit more programming… as currently I don’t think the labels pull any data from the measurement file.

That being said… I can think of a lot of reasons to do so… like to print the measurement customer’s name (not to be confused with the pattern customer) , pattern size, or the bust, waist, and hips measurement, etc on the pattern pieces.

3 Likes

I use a workaround for the customer name. Measurements file is named after the customer, and I print the filename (%mFileName%) as Customer name. The file extension is in a separate variable (%mExt%).

While we are at it, perhaps printing from the variables table could be of use too. Variables table formulas can use data from the measurements table, could referencing values in the Variables table be a route… perhaps a bit of a long way to grasp for a Seamly2D casual user.

1 Like

Anything’s possible… the main issue I can see is dealing with the fact the variables are dynamic vs fixed fields like “customer name”. Would have to parse the pattern to read any variable names and insert them in the list of available fields to add to a label template. But then there’s the issue of how to save a template? Currently a label template is independent of a pattern… would not be the case if you add variables which are specific to a pattern.

2 Likes

I took a quick look at the labels and the template editor, and without going into details of the “other” program - which I believe made the editor even worse… I believe we need to update the label editor. In that regards I’d rather wait till after I deal with some other features I feel are more important right now.

That being said I believe we could incorporate more elements from the measurements and variables. We could probably include custom or “user defined” measurements, and variables into the mix - with the caveat that any user defined element would not display / print translations in the labels. That’s why for ex the inclusion of the placeholders Word: Cut and Word: on Fold are there, where those strings are translated. If you just added “Cut” or “on Fold” in the template it would not be translated.

Since I also believe there is a need in the app to have a “text” tool to allow for more than the 2 “labels” in the current app, it may make more sense to incorporate updating the template editor while adding a new text tool. For example: there might be a need to be ale to place (translated) words like “Gather”, “Pleat”, etc… the logical thing to do is use the template editor in a text tool to add these sort of words. If the list of placeholders expands to include more measurements, variables, and other words, the drop down list will get unusably long. Therefore - it’s one reason why I said the template editor needs updating. There needs to be a simplified way of selecting from a multitude of various placeholder in various groups.

3 Likes