Seamly2d version française

Hello, first of all congratulations for all the improvements, I love it. I have a little bug I think. I installed and set the preferences of the software in French but I still have many icons in English. How can I solve this I use version 0.6.0.1 Thanks for your help

2 Likes

Unfortunately, although we are making progress with the improvements, we have not yet got the translations in line. However, If you would like to help ensure that Seamly has the translations set up properly for française, I think that @Grace & @Douglas have started setting up a way for you to submit the proper terms.

:unicorn:

2 Likes

Yes … Grace created (a) spreadsheet(s) with all the terms… blank ones per language need translating. I can take the spreadsheet and import the teanslations into Liguist to produce the translation files.

Or… if we could find a French - English speaking user that could handle Qt Linquist - that would be ideal.

3 Likes

Hi, I haven’t been veryactive on the forum for some times, so I just found this post. If help is still needed, I will have a look at Qt Linguist to see if I can handle it.

2 Likes

We’ve run lupdates recently on the repo… now we just need to start filling in the changed / missing translations. That’s where Linguist comes into play.

2 Likes

I am not very comfortable at tempering with all those different type of files (i am so afraid of breaking something it litterally freaks me out) but I finally found a good samaritan to accompany me with QTLinguist at the local open source users group.

He seems quite excited as I volunteered for other translations as well . Apparently most open source projects have the same problem : the translation tools are intimidating fir non coders, and without translations or manuals, users are hard to convince.

Appointement taken. We’ll see where it gets us.

2 Likes

I just read this thread Finished the Dutch (nl - NL) translations - how to proceed? - #14 by Douglas and which gives some interesting insights about how to do things right, or at least try :rofl:

Now, that’s a good starting point.

2 Likes

@Blueleto, if I can give you some tips, based on my experience with the Dutch translations, here are some points to watch:

• More than half of the program is probably already translated. Before starting introducing translations, have a look at the existing translations. You will find many terms already translated, and for consistency it is good to keep to those translations, unless you disagree with them (in which case you will have to re-translate them everywhere - use the find function for that)
  • Seamly2D has recently had quite some changes in its vocabulary. Decide what terms to use for Draft Block, Pattern Piece, the different tools etcetera. You may have to change some of the old translations, if they are too close to the old English terms and no longer translate the new ones. Again, inspecting first is a good idea
  • Be aware of the importance of punctuation. Terms should start and end with the same punctuation as the original. If the original is complicated (e.g. HTML tags in the phrase), copy the English phrase and translate in between the tags and punctuation.
  • Qt Linguist offers suggestions, based on the existing translations. Make use of them, they help a lot in keeping the translations consistent

Success with the project!

3 Likes

@Blueleto Thanks for the tips Peter.

Just a note… this is going to change with a redesign of the dialogs and Properties Editor, I’m just finishing up. This needs to be be done as many of the tool names are simply non sensical, the dialogs beed a better layout, and we’re trying to standardize the naming format.

So I would hold off translating any of the apps (Seamly2D ts files) until after the ui has been lupdate’d.

2 Likes

@Blueleto

Linguist will give a warning if the translation changes punctuation from the original source… but it’s just a warning - doesn’t neccessary mean the orginal was punctuated correctly, and nothing bad will happen if it is changed.

With the exception of the measurements. It’s important not to change the format of the measurements themselves. Since (translated) measurements get evaluated by the math parser they can’t contain spaces or math symbols that would cause errors in parsing formulas. There’s a note in Linguist regarding this for such source texts.

2 Likes

I took good notes af all advices. Thanks alot. Will probably have loads of question anytime soon…

2 Likes