Seamly 2D keeps crashing on Mac OS Monterrey

Hello to All,

I’m also experiencing the same issues with seamly2d on my MB Air M1 running on macOS Monterey. I’ve had crashes after clicking the formular button as mentioned above and tried to delete the app, restart my computer and use the older versions from August 2021, both 30th and 24th. On those I now do have a issue with the program constantly crashing after closing the window of variables. Is there something else I can try ?

edit: also its not to open my old patterns anymore as they’re made in a newer version.

Best, Philip

1 Like

Oh, dear! @Douglas will need to reply to you… or @Pneumarian

1 Like

I wish I had an answer. I don’t have a Mac that I can test anything on. :frowning:

I know there were some issues when closing a (dialog) window that I thought we fixed. Macs handle the window close signals a bit different than Windows. Not sure why there seems to be an issue when clicking the formula button, other than maybe there is an issue opening a window as well? Not sure why opening that window would be any different than the dozens of other dialogs. Hmmm. I’ll try and take a look.

BTW, the reason to revert back to a previous build of Seamly2D is that it eliminates any issues that may have cropped up when switching to the most current version of Qt to build tbe apps.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer. Sad to hear that there’s no solution to this problem yet :frowning:. keep us updated with any changes please, looking forward.

EDIT: I was able to work for some hours without any crashes, after restarting its the old problem again. @Douglas would it help to send you the error report which is shown to me with the possibility to send to apple ?

2 Likes

Sure… it can’t hurt. Right now I’m totally in the dark with no way to debug or run any changes on a mac.

2 Likes

okay, i’ll copy the text, is there any possibility to send it you you directly, as its quite long ?

EDIT: I attached it in a PDF.

Error Report.pdf (171,1 KB)

1 Like

Little Update to everyone experiencing this issue,

I’ve noticed that after clicking on ‘‘settings’’ under the point of ‘‘seamly2d’’ im getting a window with a warning looking like this:

after clicking OK and closing the settings window I’m able to run seemly without crashings. This might help you to work with the program for now.

Best, Philip

1 Like

Oh, wow! Philip. Thank you so very much for this. I think it’s highly possible that the errors are being caused by an MS universal font that isn’t part of the Mac package.

I’m sure @Douglas will know more about this than I do.

1 Like

Hmmm. Interesting. Not sure why a missing font would be causing a signal error (as per the error report)? At any rate, this is something to further investigate with Mac distributions as it should not be expected for a user to have a given font family installed to not have the app to crash.

3 Likes

@Douglas Is there a way to constantly fix this problem, for example by replacing the font with one that’s also existing on macOS ?

2 Likes

Hey Philip,

Well, the MSShell Dlg 2 font is a placeholder font that on Windows is always replaced by Tahoma (a Microsoft font)… as shown in my registry:

registry

The Dlg2 font is the default font for Qt… and that apparently why it’s all over the gui forms. I would assume one issue the macs would have is they’re not going to have the Tahoma font installed. I’m looking into how I can have the app globally set the font. In the mean time I don’t know whether if you were to find and install the Tahoma font if that would fix the issue? Or whether you’d still get the “replacement” dialog… assuming that the MSShell Dlg 2 font is being replaced dynamically as the app runs?

2 Likes

Hey Douglas,

for now I’ve just kept on running the program by ‘‘replacing’’ the font through the dialog window but I might try to find the Tahoma font and see if that’s fixing the issue.

I’ll keep you posted.

Edit: I’ve downloaded Tahoma and added it to my Fonts, unfortunately it didn’t solve the issue.

2 Likes