Seamly 2D crashes when adding formula for measurements (Mac OS Monterey)

Seamly 2D crashes when adding formula for measurements (Mac OS Monterey)

1. I open Seamly 2D
  2. I added custom variables in the variants table
  3. I choose a point/ line in my drawing
  4. I click the formula icon on the length (sometimes it crashes here without error message)
  5. I choose custom variables from the radio group
  6. It shows this error message
  7. The tool crushes

When I imported my individual measurements and seamlyme already showed this error message (see picture below)seamly2D crashes as soon as I want to ad a formula for the length of a line. Then it crashes without a message.

Versions: Seamly 2D 0.6.0.1. Seamly Me 0.6.0.1.

1 Like

Aha. I don’t own a Mac so I have no clue what happens to cause the Fx dialog to crash, but now I got something to go on with this issue! The Fx dialog issue could be font related. I will take a look at the Fx dialog and see if something font related went amiss.

Just out of curiosity… are there any Mac (Monterey) users who DON’T have this issue? In which case this could be a more general issue, not related to the actual code.

2 Likes

Hello @Douglas , I just used the debugger in QT Creator and recreated this error message. This is the last part of the debug-output. Hope this is helpful.

DEBUG:Update Pattern label:  "Mandarin Kragen jap.  Jacke"
DEBUG:Update Grainline IsVisible() =  false
DEBUG:Set current name to "/Users/alex/seamly2d/patterns/Mandarin kragen japanische jacke.val"
DEBUG:Update Pattern label:  "Mandarin Kragen jap.  Jacke"
DEBUG:Updating recent file list.
DEBUG:Updating recent file actions.
DEBUG:Updating restore file list.
DEBUG:File loaded.
DEBUG:Show piece scene
DEBUG:Value 100.000000

DEBUG:Value 160.100000

DEBUG:Show draft scene
DEBUG:Value 100.000000

DEBUG:Value 160.300000

DEBUG:Show piece scene

DEBUG:Creating tool context menu.
DEBUG:Remove disabled. Tool has children.
DEBUG:Show options.
QPainter::begin: A paint device can only be painted by one painter at a time.
QPainter::setCompositionMode: Painter not active
QBackingStore::endPaint() called with active painter; did you forget to destroy it or call QPainter::end() on it?
17:49:45: /Users/alex/Projekte/build-Seamly2D-Desktop_Qt_5_15_2_clang_64bit-Debug/src/app/seamly2d/bin/Seamly2D.app/Contents/MacOS/Seamly2D ist abgestĂĽrzt.

What I’ve done:

1. open pattern in seemly 2.Right click on a point → choose properties
  2. length–> formula icon
  3. → Custom variables
  4. error message appeared, software died

2 Likes

I had some more issues with fonts that are not available on my computer. I just searched for them in the whole project and found where they are used. I am wondering: Is there a style guide or variable in which the fonts are stored? If yes I guess it makes sense to use them here, too. A fix would also be to use the standard system font but this is not the most beautiful solution I guess, and as I am not familiar with the tool (and not that good in coding) I didn’t want to change the code. Also don’t know if this would fix all the problems with the fonts etc. Times is not available on Mac, that there is a problem with this symbol font and I think another one, but I can’t recreate it now.

Best Alexandra

2 Likes

TY for the debug info.

Painter… Well that may be something to look at.

Hmmm… Just out of curiosity - did you ever set a GUI font in the App preferences? I’m wondering if the default pref font is not on your machine - it’s causing some of the dialogs to crash. At any rate I’ll check the getGuiFont() routine to see if and what it would return as a default, and I’ll go through all of the FX dialog and see what fonts are being used. Sometimes editing a ui form causes widgets to inadvertently change a font.

Really… that’s a really common font. Also I’m surprised this hasn’t been reported as an issue before, for as you can it’s been hardcoded since the beginning. That BTW is why I sorta of started to replace the use of “Times” with a user pref gui font.

Update: I checked the getGuiFont() routine, and it returns the QApplicationFont() as a default if no gui font is set. I can’t imagine that would be an issue. Hmmmm

2 Likes

Hi Alex… I was just thinking… if you’re able to run Creator in debug mode - do you know how to set a breakpoint and then step through the app? If we can do that we can probably find the exact line in the code that is causing the app to crash, as well as looking at the state of class member variables… which may actually be in some other file.

The (incorrectly named) FX -DialogEditWrongFormula dialog is in the file dialogeditwrongformula.cpp

2 Likes

Hello Douglas, thank you for your answer! I checked the preferences again, I never changed the GUI font but the fonts for labels. And “Times” is not available on Mac, It’s “Times New Roman”. BTW if I click on “Preferences” there’s another font missing.

Will try that, just need to check how it works.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Interestingly as I’m working on updating the Pattern Piece dialog, there are several other list widgets that were hardcoded with 12pt Bold Times… besides the fact the font doesn’t match the main path list font, and I want them all to match, I did a search for Tiimes, and lo and behold it shows up in all the dialogs that seem to cause issues with some macs … the fx Edit Formula, History, Variables, etc.

I think what we can quickly test is if I change the Times font in the fx Edit Formula dialog to what the tool dialog’s are using, and if that solves the problem, I can remove Times everwhere else… either by changing the font or making it the user set gui font.

4 Likes

I have had the same bug on my iMac at this point cannot even open my pattern anymore

3 Likes

Hello & welcome to the Seamly2D forum, @DebbieN

You don’t mention which version of Seamly2D you have installed, and some of these problems have been attended to. Please try & install the latest release for Mac here. You will find them just below halfway down the page. Just click on the blank square below Mac and it will bring up the latest Mac release :slight_smile:

Please let me know if this sorts your problem.

Hi @DebbieN,

We’ve been working hard to solve the build issues. Thanks for posting about your problem. Please download the Seamly version from Grace’s post and let us know the results.

1 Like

Do you think the Mac issues could be build related, rather than code related?

2 Likes

Yes Absolutely. The Mac & Linux builds broke when Gnome 4.0 came out and desktop changes were made for Monterey, our code didn’t change.

2 Likes

The issue of the formula crashes should now be fixed in todays weekly release: Release 2023.1.16.230 · FashionFreedom/Seamly2D · GitHub

2 Likes