Saving to Google Drive in Ubuntu

Hello lovely people, yet another newbie here! I’m currently running Seamly2d 0.6.0.1 in Ubuntu 18.04.3. I assume that I have the version for ubuntu18.04.1 installed. By some arcane means beyond my comprehension I also managed to (usably) install Seamly2d on my Chromebook with Linux enabled. I want to be able to save to a shared folder of some sort so that I can work on a project from either computer without juggling files.

On the Chromebook I was able to share the Google drive to the Linux side, & seamlessly save to it from Seamly. From my Ubuntu machine I’ve been unable to do so, in spite of the fact that I can from any other program that I’ve tried it with. So I feel like Seamly must be lacking the widget that allows the file interface GUI to interact with the Google drive. I was able to find how to navigate to the drive folder, but all the sub-folders showed names that looked like randomly generated passwords.

Or is there already something to give that kind of functionality which I’ve missed?

1 Like

I do not think you have missed anything. There is nothing inherent in the seamly software that would support that. Seamly is implemented on top of the Qt platform, which allows it to (mostly) be compatible across linux, windows, and Mac.

That said, I am fairly sure there is some way to do a series of operations from the command prompt, and probably even put them into a script that could be automagically run when you boot your system.

I think the approach would be to mount the google drive into the linux filesystem which should give it a device name. I am speculating based on the way I believe google drive works and do not know off the top of my head how to do this.

I abandoned windows after Windows 7 (I have a windows 10 installation but have only used it to run turbotax). I believe the approach would be to investigate to find a documented API for Google Drive. I access my google drive on a Ubuntu by using a browser and dragging the file from a file manager window to the browser interface “google drive window”.

How much documentation have you found on the arcane methods inside the chromebook? I have never tried using a Chromebook, but am willing to investigate. It would be much faster if somebody who knows some internal magic on a chromebook would assist. Do you know anyone who can volunteer?

1 Like

@Pneumarian, I forgot to mention that I am impressed that you were able to install and run Seamly on the chromebook. To my knowledge, there was no intent by the original developer to support one. If you can point me to the best source of Chromebook documentation, I would appreciate it.

1 Like

@Pneumarian I just did a search for “qt chromebook api” and got back a non null result. That tells me that it may be a possibility to build a version that would run as a native app on a chromebook. Since I know nothing about a chromebook (other than in the abstract) I am sure there are others who could do this more quickly than I. If anybody wants to create a build pipeline to support Chromebook, I am willing to help.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t know about documentation or skill regarding Chromebooks. It is a Debian type of Linux. I didn’t have access to ‘add-apt-repository’, but I could ‘sudo apt edit-sources’ & follow the directions on the Ubuntu seamly install page to manually add it, (I used the ‘trusty’ branchlet under the impression that it might not require as much Ubuntu-specific stuff.)

My experience so far says that the Ubuntu fork will work fine, if a bit more buggy than on Ubuntu. I did very quickly start saving between every action because of frequent freezing requiring me to force-quit seamly2d, (thankfully I was able to find ‘top’ on the command line, else I’d have had to reboot Chrome every time.) I haven’t had to do that as frequently recently for reasons entirely beyond my ken.

Maybe I should nuke&pave the Chromebook to see if I can get it done with way less cabbage on a second try? :flushed:

I’m thinking that the available version of qt was a little older than seamly wanted, so I wonder if some of the more advanced functions might be entirely unusable. I might be remembering wrong though.

1 Like