Referring to curve lengths on other pieces

Hi all, I am very new to both seamly and pattern drafting, but have been giving drafting a trouser pattern a go. I want to take the length of the curve on the back pattern piece, and use it to know how much length to add to where it will attach to the front piece, but I cant seem to find a way of referring to that curve on the front piece.

Thank you for any help in advance!

2 Likes

Hello and welcome, @Emile

You can extend a line using the length of the curve at the back by looking in the formula’s:

I hope this helps you. I just used the Point at Distance Along Line tool to show you where to find the formulas and the curve lengths. Normally, I’d create the front & back side curves identical (just reversed) - because this creates the dart over the hip - at the same height and indent from the hip line and check that the length of those curves are the same length, as well.

Please let us know if you need further help.

1 Like

In addition to what @Grace has said, if you are trying to edit a measurement based on a line placed later, or in a later block, you won’t be able to because of how Seamly reads the pattern file.

:unicorn:

1 Like

And in addition to what @Pneumarian said… no tool can’t access any other tool created after itself. So that includes another tool’s points, curves, lengths, angles. In other words, objects are created in a linear time line, and can only refer to objects created earlier in the time line. The “History” is a direct record of each tool in the timeline. There is a trick to insert an object earlier in the History time line, but you have to be careful when doing so.

2 Likes

In earlier versions this was not possible at all, but now it is not longer necessary to have front, back, sleeve, … in one draft block!

Really cool!

The only thing, that could be enhanced, is the possibility to hide or show a draft block.

1 Like

This is possible by placing the block into a group. Then you can hide the group by click on the ‘eye’ to close it.

This also applies if you have all your pattern pieces on one draft block.

1 Like