Redesign Seam allowance tool

@slpencer, i want to continue our discussion about automatic placement grainline and labels.

You said:

In Draw mode, Detail group, Seam Allowance tool, a user can define Grainline placement by either of two methods: a.) select Begin point from dropdown then select Endpoint from dropdown, (this section disables next section), OR b.) select Begin point from dropdown then enter length f(x), and angle f(x), (this section disables previous section) If data is blank then in Detail mode the user interactively drags grainline to the correct location and rotates into the correct angle.

I propose left only the first option. Two control points: begin and end can be controlled by formulas and will give the same result. Also these points can be converted by Unite Details tool and formulas not. Especially rotation values.

A label:

In Draw mode, Detail Group, Seam Allowance tool, a user can define Detail Label placement a.) select Top Left point from dropdown list and enter width f(x), height f(x), and rotation f(x)

The font sizes will be calculated using the width and height of label.

If data is blank, then in Detail the user interactively drags labels to correct location, expands to correct size, and rotates to correct angle.

First of all this tab is too big. This will make whole dialog window very big.

As i said before rotation formula hard to convert. What if ask a user set two points top left and bottom right?

According to points position we could calc rotation, width and height. I know, this is little bit hard to imagine, but could be very efficient.

What do you think?

Perfect. The first option is the one I like too.

Again, this is perfect. I like the “two point” options, they’re so much simpler.

I asked you about this and you said it would be difficult. This was before the redesign. I think Valentina users will like it.

1 Like

You might like this article…

1 Like

Okay then. I will do my part of job. I will add control points and return grainline and labels. Then @Bojan adopt them for control points.

1 Like

Okay, i think i have fixed all recent bugs with code and can return to redesign. Tomorrow i release new test build.

1 Like

Alright! Stoked to try it out.

Could the new seam allowance tools have values from Table of Variables ?

1. If you want change the seam allowance width for all pieces at once. This is the case when the fabric is fragile and you need wider seam allowance. It would be nice have the seam allowance value from the increment list

2. In some cases you like to have more seam allowance in certain places. This is the case when making the garment of expensive fabric and you want to leave extra seam allowance for the future adjustment. Again it would be handy to specify the value in the increment list.

3. In male trousers made of wool there is additional seam allowance in the back seam. If the fabric is cotton, there is no need for the adjustment, because the trousers do last as long as wool ones. It is much easier again to get value from the list.

Hello, I haven’t seen a new test build uploaded (unless I am missing something). Did you decide not to release the test build after all?

Sorry, i did not have time to publish it on websites. You can download it from the downloads page.

Excellent. Thank you. Okay so I did just install that latest test version. But I am not noticing any new tools of functionality related to the seam allowance tool. What am I missing?

I never said i will publish new changes related to seam allowance tool redesign in this test build.

A test build was published on websites.

Theoretically yes. Do you want only increments? How do you see switching between fabrics?

Yes, It would be nice to have all values like in Grain Line.

One idea having values from the table, is that you could change all seam allowances with one value. Now you need to change it piece by piece.

What is the status of the new seal allowance tool? Do you have any idea, when it might be merged to the development brach? I would like use that feature in the new video about creating detail and layout

Unfortunately no news. I am very busy with more prioritized tasks.

First i need fix all bugs i have now (three for now).

The redesign is the last feature before release 0.5.0.

OK. Thanks for the info. I’ll use the current features

I’ve just checked out the feature branch to have a look at the current status of the new seam allowance tool.

I really like what you have done! This is such a good improvement! Thank you so much for your hard work. I think the user will be very pleased with it.

1 Like