Printing Large Tiled Patterns

printing

While not perfect, I’ve figured out a way to successfully create tiled pdf’s of any size. First off, you will need PDFCreator (There may be other packages that work, but this one works with any paper size that Windows knows about, including custom-created ones.)

Here are the steps:

1. On the tool sidebar, click on ‘Layout’|‘Create new Layout’.
  2. Under ‘Templates’, pick a roll/sheet that is as wide as the largest dimension of the printer you will eventually use. If you get the ‘Several workpieces left not arranged, but none of them match for paper’ error, pick a larger roll/sheet or make a custom size. For whatever reason, the paper size is limited to 32768 pixels, which is 866.99cm/341.33". Go figure.
  3. Once you have a paper size that your pattern will fit on and your layout is created, click through ‘File’|‘Layout’|‘Export as…’
  4. For ‘File format’, choose ‘PDF files (*.pdf)’ and set your folder & file name preferences.
  5. Open up ‘Windows Explorer’ (Press <WIN-E>) and go to the folder that you saved your pdf in.
  6. Open the pdf in your pdf reader (I use Adobe Acrobat.)
  7. Click through ‘File’|‘Print…’ or press <CTRL-P>.
  8. Under ‘Printer’, choose ‘PDFCreator’.
  9. Click on ‘Properties’.
  10. In the ‘PDFCreator Document Properties’ window, click ‘Advanced’.
  11. In the ‘PDFCreator Advanced Options’ window, change ‘Paper Size’ to whatever paper size the printer you will be using will handle, then click ‘Okay’.
  12. Click ‘Okay’ in the ‘PDFCreator Document Properties’ window.
  13. Back in the ‘Print’ window, under ‘Page Sizing & Handling’, click on ‘Poster’. You should immediately see the preview window change to reflect how many pages of your given size will be used.
  14. Check off ‘Cut Marks’ and/or ‘Labels’ and change the overlap, if desired. If you wish to create a scaled-down pattern, change the scale in ‘Tile Scale’.
  15. When you are ready, click ‘Print’.
  16. In the ‘PDFCreator’ window that pops up, change the title/etc. as you wish, then click ‘Save’.
  17. In the ‘Select destination’ window that pops up, choose your save location and file name, then click ‘Save’.

You are done! Many printing services allow uploading pdf files, and some offer ‘Engineering Prints’ printing, which prints on inexpensive paper at large scales (A1/ARCH D or larger.) I would suggest checking your local printers, as I can personally testify that taping/gluing together 35 sheets of A4/Letter paper is no fun at all.

Hope this helps!

Keith

Updates and fixing tiled printing

Nice, I personally have been using Posterrazor as it support Linux, though your program may be more user friendly. I’ll check it out on my Windows system.

Printing tiled PDF onto A3 sized paper

I found out why the internal limitation on size:

/* QImage supports a maximum of 32768x32768 px images (signed short).
* This follows from the condition: width * height * colordepth < INT_MAX (4 billion) -> 32768 * 32768 * 4 = 4 billion.
* The second condition is of course that malloc is able to allocate the requested memory.
* If you really need bigger images you will have to use another wrapper or split into multiple QImage's.
*/
#define QIMAGE_MAX 32768

(TL;DR: We need another wrapper or split into multiple QImage’s.)

THANK YOU @KeithFromCanada!!!

Is the size limitation a problem for the layout? Or were is it a problem for us?

Apparently it is a problem if your layout image is larger than that allowed by Qt.

Valentina generates images at 96ppi, so the max layout image size is about 341.33in * 341.33in.

96ppi = 96px/in – pixels per inch

32768px * (1in/96px) = 341.333333333 in

Opened Issue #761.

Given my cutting table is 72" wide ( by 40 feet) … I could print a layout up to 135 feet. Unless I’m missing something or there’s a bunch of tent and sail makers banging down the door this seems like a low priority.

341 inches is almost twenty-eight and a half feet long, which is lots for a single piece or for human clothes. The difference is that people can (and apparently are) using LF for more than clothing and so correcting this should at least have some priority.

It’s important to know the print size limitations, so that when printing issues occur we will know when this limitation is (or is not) involved.

More specifically:

• If you are using coordinates with Qt’s raster-based paint engine, it is important to note that, while coordinates greater than +/- 2^15 can be used, any painting performed with coordinates outside this range is not guaranteed to be shown; the drawing may be clipped. This is due to the use of short int in the implementation.

Following the Dismine repo thread that started this conversation:

If I understand correctly… this was an issue because of the maximum width or length of paper you can use not the total area across multiple sheets needed to fit all the pieces.Yes? No?

Once you choose the width and length, the layout will fill as many sheets as needed to fit all the detail pieces. Only caveat is that the max width or length of paper has to be as large as the longest detail piece… and available memory.

If there seems a need for some one who uses pieces longer than 866.98cm / 341.33 in / 28.44 feet… have at it. I just don’t see the need.

Yes. But I can’t confirm some of the problems others have had when printing on sheet paper (of any size), because I print on a 44" plotter with roll paper, which works great.