Printing in color

When I create my drafts I am using different colored lines for each size, but when I go to piece to create the piece it makes the lines black. Is there a way to keep the lines in color for printing and exporting? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello @blue, welcome to Seamly!

It is not possible to create the pieces in color at this time. I believe that is one of the end-goals of certain updates that @Douglas has been working on. However, untangling the spaghetti-code so that it is easily readable/editable has been a priority, so it may be a while.

In the meantime, you could export it to Inkscape, & colorize it there.

1 Like

Thanks! You saved me a lot of trouble, because I keep trying to do this in Seamly now that I know it is not possible yet I will colorize it in Inkscape. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Yes this is something in the works… obviously there is a need to colorize parts of pattern piece - be it in piece mode or layout mode. One need for colored lines is when using a (plotter) cutter so as for the cutter to distinguish between what lines / parts need to be cut or just printed. Another need would be for a future nesting feature to color code different sizes.

That being said… nesting aside, one of the issues to sort out is there is not necessarily a correlation between the lines used in draft mode, and the pattern piece lines created in piece mode. What is needed is color coding in piece mode that corresponds to the AAMA / DXF layers… which includes such items as Boundry (cut line), Sewlines, notches, cutouts, text, internals, grain, etc. I picture implementing some sort of color presets, where there could be a “standard” set of colors, or any number of user defined presets. A standard set would be useful where you would want to have all patterns using the same colors - such as with cloud patterns. On the other hand - in draft mode you could have “construction” lines that have no relation to the AAMA layers. I think there may have to be 2 different color presets - one for draft mode, one for piece mode, and where you could have the choice of some cross over between the 2.

2 Likes

The spaghetti code is an ongoing thing… I just keep cleaning up stuff as I go. Mainly I’ve been more concerned about cleaning up the interface.

1 Like