Pattern piece not resizing when selecting different sizes - help!

Actually it is … XML to be precise - eXtended Markup Language. That’s what the val, vit, and vst files are written as. When you open a pattern it’s stored in memory as a Dom Document, sort of a virtual representation of the XML. Once you have a grasp of XML, you can more or less manually parse and edit a file… exactly like Grace has done.

3 Likes

You’ve totally lost me :joy:

Sorry it’s taking so long. I had to work yesterday.

1 Like

I’m in awe of you guys!

1 Like

Oh Grace, no need to apologise! I’m forever thankful you’re even considering looking at my patterns! Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @hayleyneil

I’m just not finding all the lines for your new pattern to create the pattern pieces :sob: So I’m going to ask you to create them. Here’s your file back with only the test part that is resizing and working. As I said before, I’ve deleted all of the groups and the pattern pieces, to get the ID’s working again.

Bias Nape Cowl - Copy - A4.val (148.3 KB)

All of your drafting is there.

I’d like you to create one pattern piece, save the file and close it. Reopen it and check that it’s working and resizing, then create the next pattern piece. Let’s do it in baby-steps so that we can pick up any errors before you do too much. We can add the groups again once all of your pattern pieces have been created.

Thank you very much for your patience. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Grace, I’ll say it again: you are an angel! Thank you. I’ve just made the first pattern piece and it’s re-sizing fine, hooray! I’ll get on with doing the rest of the pieces then report back. I cannot thank you enough, I can’t even imagine how you fixed this! x

2 Likes

I’ve done it and they’re all resizing! Thank you SO much!!! Here it is:

Bias Nape Cowl - Copy - A44.val (170.4 KB)

So what do you think it was that was causing the problem? If there’s anything I can do to minimise the risk of this happening again I would be very glad to know!

Thanks again Grace, so much x

2 Likes

I think it was my fault. When I moved everything over to one board, I created the groups of the patterns and deleted all the pattern pieces except the test square.

In Draft Mode, everything that you add gets given an ID number. Then when you great a group, the groups get given Object ID numbers and then when you create a pattern piece, those ID numbers that you choose are all given Object ID numbers in a section called “Model”.

So what was happening was, the new groups had the same object ID’s as those used in the Test Square pattern piece, and every pattern piece that came later wasn’t getting a Model section for it, so it was using the Model section for the Test Square and, oh… it was like a plate of spaghetti, taking stuff from one place & from the other place and ending in something that didn’t resize and creating the critical error after closing & reopening.

By deleting all the groups & all the pattern pieces and starting again, I reset all the object ID’s and that’s why we needed to re-create all the pattern pieces from scratch.

I would suggest that you delete all the groups and pattern pieces in your master pattern, save the file, close it and reopen it, and recreate all the pattern pieces and groups again - testing as you go - so that you know this won’t happen again.

LOL, I can’t believe how much trouble a simple test square caused.

2 Likes

Okay great, well once again thank you for everything you’ve done! I’m over the moon I didn’t lose that pattern!

1 Like

Oh grace I’m so sorry to bother you again but I made another pattern from the same set of basic blocks today and the same thing has happened; the pieces aren’t resizing! I went back and deleted all the groups I had made and the pattern pieces, but now I’ve re-made a pattern piece and it’s still not resizing. I just don’t understand! So this is the set of basic blocks you kindly put all on the same board for me, which I used for the basis of the pattern: Basic Blocks - Final (same board).val (75.6 KB)

And this is the pattern I made with them, when I hadn’t gone back and deleted the groups yet: Lace Dress - before deleting groups.val (102.5 KB)

And this is after the pieces I made weren’t resizing, so I deleted all the pieces, and all the groups, and tried making a new piece, which still isn’t resizing: Lace Dress - after deleting groups, made new piece.val (95.2 KB)

I’m so sorry to call upon your help once again but I just don’t know what to do and I’m frightened of using the basic blocks again now! Do you think I should just cut my losses and re-draft all the blocks on one board properly all over again?

Thanks as always in advance xxx

2 Likes

Since I’ve been there myself… it’s not quite as bad as you might think. You’ve already done the figuring out, so it goes a lot quicker next time around. In fact chances are you might make improvements along the way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Basic Blocks - Final (same board) - A.val (79.1 KB)

Lace Dress - before deleting groups - A.val (97.1 KB)

Hi again, @hayleyneil

LOL, all fixed & I made one pattern piece to test it with. Let’s see how it goes. Just keep testing as you make pattern pieces or groups. It may not be a bad idea to create a new master pattern later when you have time, but for now, I’m happy to fix my mistakes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha, I was thinking exactly the same thing! I would probably do it much more efficiently this time! Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh Grace once again you rush to my rescue! Thank you! I think I probably will draft new versions at some point as I do think I’d do a better job at them now that I’m more experienced. But thank you so much for correcting these for me, which is a huge help in the short term! Really appreciate it :blush:

3 Likes