"Pattern Making System" question

Just a bit of insight… Qt has a translation mechanism that tags each instance of where you code a string to be translated. The app will on the fly replace that coded string with the translated string contained in one of the selected language files. In the case of the measurements it appears the “Canadian English” most represents the coded strings as defined in a versioned schema file. That’s why when I switched to French to American English hip_circ changed to Hips.,… but regardless what gui language is used the measurement file will always save the schema name - hip_circ.

What I’m still baffled by is how I got hip_circ and Seat in the screencap? As you can’t edit the fullname, and even if you edit the vit file it won’t show up as the measurement dialog will only show the fullname by referencing the name… unless it’s custom measurement prefixed with @.

1 Like

Theoretically a pattern system template should have a limited number of measurements… only those needed by the system to draft a pattern. For example, using the Croonberg’s " Blue Book of Men’s Tailoring: Grand Edition of Supreme System For Producing Men’s Garments" generally requires only the chest, waist , sleeve length and height to draft a men’s jacket. Add in the seat for pants. It uses a few other “direct measures” for drafting vests and to fine tune a draft for a better fit.

On the other hand, like you I use a set of measurements based on forms from a few professional theatres we deal with that covers just about anything I need to draft. It has 51 “known” measurements and 13 custom ones. In fact I tried importing measurements from a few patterns from others and it added nothing new.

That being said, I think the idea of having pattern system templates is an aide for new users, who can just select a template that matches whatever system they are using. There’s nothing precluding a user from then adding to their form. Chances are my set of measurements would allow me to draft using a good portion of the systems.

4 Likes

Continuing the discussion from "Pattern Making System" question:

A string, of course, being a string of characters, (think “string of letter beads.”) So Douglas can give one of the backstage workers a list of changes to make if a dignitary, or tour group of foreigners, are identified at the ticket booth.

(I once saw a stage production of “Mephistopheles” with English subtitles. Of course, that was because the foreign opera was showing in a South Carolina theater, but the principle holds.)

2 Likes

I do not use the templates either. I use a list that I have made for the method I use to draft patterns. I found the measurement list overwhelming to go through.

I do think that a template matched to a particular book is useful for those people who are drafting from the book, it would simplify the process of locating, and loading the measurement fields required.

Translated from above… “Perhaps it would make more sense to point out really relevant dimensions and to explain in more detail the creation and calculation of auxiliary dimensions that are necessary when creating the sample and can sometimes vary.”

A thread devoted to this might be very useful.

4 Likes

Hola la verdad es que yo tampoco usos las medidas que trae el programa ya que muchas no sirven para hacer un patrón.
En mi pagina web tengo un articulo que ampliaré y habla de cómo tomar medidas con imágenes unas figuras localizando cada medida co un numero y la explicación de cómo tomarlas en una tabla. El problema es que está en español pero pongo el enlace para que puedas traducir por Chrome. link del articulo.https://www.puntadaypixel.com/tabla-de-tallas/ Captura de pantalla 2021-06-23 a las 10.22.59

4 Likes