Passmark on an inside corner?

Hello all! I’m new here, and have been so glad to read and learn from the posts on this forum… I’ve nearly finished my first draft of some dog bandanas! I’ve drafted it with seam allowance included, just transferring measurements from a previous draft on paper. I didn’t think this would be an issue, but I’m now at the point where I’m adding some marks to show where to pivot at the corner while sewing… I think that drafting without the seam allowance may have been a mistake?

Instead of the bandana being a straight triangle, I’ve drafted the tie-ends in kind of a curved leaf shape, and I’m having trouble figuring out how to add a passmark exactly where I need it. Of course I can easily measure in 1cm to where my seam allowance would be along the straight edge before the leaf shape begins, but I don’t know how to get it in the correct place 1cm inside the curved part.

Is there a way to inset the SA here at the draw stage? Or maybe something else I’m missing?

(EDIT: I have thankfully found a workaround in with the inset function in Inkscape, but would still like to know if this is possible here!)

1 Like

If I understand what you’re asking about: under Pattern Preferences, choose the Pattern tab, in the Notches section check the Show second notch on seamline box.

Then in the Workpiece Tool dialog, make sure that Show notch on seam line is selected for the registration mark needing to show at the inner corner.

I hope that helps!

:unicorn:

1 Like

The fact Dom is using the term “passmark” makes me wonder if they are using Valentina or an old version of Seamly2D?

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Seamly2D forum, @Dom

You need to place Nodes at the places where you would like your Notches/Passmarks to be. In your case, you will need to add a node to the curve - either 1cm from the start of the curve or 1cm before the end of the curve.

This node needs to be included when you create your layout, but since it wasn’t, you can use the Insert Node tool. And because the node is on a curve and you would like the curve to be curved before and after the node, you will also need to add the curve again - also using the Insert Node tool.

Then you will need to go to the layout in Layout Mode, right-click on the pattern and move the 2 new items into their correct position in the list and mark them as Included by right-clicking and clicking on the Excluded item in the menu. (At the same time, you can mark the node for the notch/passmark.)

And that’s it :slight_smile: Now, all you need to do is to choose your notch type & size.

2 Likes

Whoops, @Douglas you caught me! I’m using Valentina… I couldn’t get the Seamly2D download to work for linux on my chromebook, and no one ever responded to my contact emails about it, so it looks like I’m stuck with Valentina for now!

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed reply @Grace !

I was able to follow these instructions for most of my marks, but my issue is that the mark in question is inside the pattern piece. I can’t get a node there because I can’t create the internal seam line 1cm inside the piece. I think I would have to completely redo the draft with the seam line, not the cut line, which is how I drafted it on paper in the first place… Maybe??

I appreciate your reply to my question! From all your activity I’ve seen on this site, I’m sure if there was anyone who would know IF there was a solution to my cut line/seam line mistake, it would be you, Queen @Grace !

1 Like

What type of chip does your Chromebook have? Is it an ARM chip, or Intel?

2 Likes

@Pneumarian that would be Intel!

1 Like

Excellent. It ought to work then. It’s not point&click —you’ll have to use the terminal every time— but although it’s officially not supported, I have Seamly currently running on my Chromebook as I type this & am happy to provide what little support I can.

You can use the normal Chromebook interfaces to download the AppImage, & put it in the ‘Linux files’ folder with a relatively easy name like ‘seamly.AppImage’. (I have my AppImages saved with their release date as part of their name, eg: ‘Seamly2D20220411.AppImage’.)

With it in place just open the terminal —you may need to click the icon for ‘penguin’— wait for the virtual machine to load, then type ./seamly.AppImage

I hope that works for you! If you have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer! (in the morning. Tonight’s gone too late already!)

2 Likes

@Pneumarian I’m happy to wait until tomorrow for a reply, thanks so much for the help and info!

Things go smoothly until I enter the command, and then the terminal says Permission Denied! I know for all other linux apps I’ve installed I’ve had to type sudo… does that have something to do with why it’s not working?

2 Likes

We’re happy to reply where we can. Unfortunately, Seamly & Valentina are moving further and further away from each other that sometimes, we get lost and can’t really help.

Firstly, check that your seam allowance isn’t filling your pattern piece. If it is, then check that your nodes and curves have been selected correctly and reverse any curves that need reversing.

If all is well, then I suggest toggling the Show the 2nd passmark… and see if this doesn’t fix it.

1 Like

Are you saying it’s on an internal path - not a seam or seam allowance line? If so, regardless of which app, neither one supports notches on internal paths, although I do plan om adding that functionality at some point.

3 Likes

Good guess, but no; you’ll just have to change the permissions settings for the AppImage. Type in chmod +x "file name", (“seamly.AppImage”, or what have you,) to give yourself permission to eXecute the AppImage, & you should be good to go! Just make sure that you use an addition symbol & a lower case “x”. You shouldn’t even have to sudo chmod, not that it would hurt either.

@Douglas Sounds like the old problem of not being able to make a negative width seamline.

2 Likes

Sort of… it’s just that currently internal paths don’t even attempt to draw a seam allowance or notches. Which is probably due to not knowing which direction the curves are going as the path goes clockwise… is it inside the IP or outside… or is the SA positive or negative. Once I can crack that nut, it will solve a bunch of issues.

3 Likes

@Pneumarian That worked!! Thank you so much! I’m so gald I’ll be able to use the superior program going forward!

2 Likes

@Douglas That’s great to know, and now I know to always start with my seamline to avoid this problem in the future… Thank you so much for your helpful replies and all the work you do!

1 Like