Newbie sanity check

This is a lot to take in, but I think I’ve got the basics understood. Can I get some feedback as to whether or not I’m on the right track with my thinking before I head down a path that might be incorrect?

I have a pattern drafted for myself in paper and digitally, from before I knew about Seamly. I’d like to grade it for a range of standard sizes.

I’m thinking I must now:

1. Find a trusted table of standard measurements and create/source a multisize vst.
  2. Choose my closest match from that multisize table.
  3. Redraft the pattern pieces based on measurements from that closest match in the table.
  4. Grade the pattern pieces to the other measurements in the table that I’d like to draft for.

Does this sum it up accurately?

1 Like

Welcome hrab!

You do not HAVE to use the multisize capability. Personally, I prefer using individual measurements (.vit files) to using multisize measurements (.vst files) However, with your stated goal of drafting for a range of standard sizes, I believe your summary is accurate.

I make patterns and sew for costuming actors at a community theater. One of the first things I did to show myself what Seamly2D could do was create a pattern using my own measurements, then create separate measurement files for each of several different sized people and simply load the pattern with the different measurement file. That easily allowed me to generate printed patterns with custom sizing for the individuals.

It depends on what type garments you want to make. I was making things that needed a precise fit, and the standard size tables fit nobody. If you want to make a range of sizes similar to “ready to wear” then the multisize approach is probably best.

@Grace is the resident expert on using multisize measurements

2 Likes

Thanks for the compliment @kmf :slight_smile:

Hi & welcome @hrab I’d like to just add one more thing. Seamly2D does not create a pattern that has the multiple sizes drawn on it. It will only create a pattern for each size. Although you can adjust the pattern size very easily within the program if you have a multisize measurements file loaded.

2 Likes

Yes currently we can output a document (png, svg, jpg, hpgl, dxf) containing a single size.

2 Likes