New translations project

Given that there currently are no Czech translations, everything needs translating… including all the standard stuff that is not pattern related. New, Open, Close, Save, Help… etc. At least zmost, if not all the English - which all the translations are based on - has been corrected. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, a lot of the other languages also need 'standard stuff" translations, Like the Portuguese.

Thanks, I’ll take a look :slight_smile:

1 Like

I took a look myself… there does appear the be Czech translation files, but like all of the ts files they are out of date with all the changes made to the UI.

Anyhow Qt’s linquist will run as a standalone… it’s really the best way to edit the ts files. Here’s a screencap… cz

On the left is a context list - which contains all the classes which have translations in them. I picked MainWindow, and you can see that 110 out of 266 items have been translated. To the right is a list of the items… the ones with a ? need translating. Below that you enter the translation. Which for the most is all one has to do, unless there are ambiguities to resolve.

1 Like

I’ve made a spreadsheet (as best I could) of all the measurement codes and languages. I’m afraid there’s a whole lot of work that needs to be done in this department :cry:

And now the forum won’t let me upload an ODS file :frowning: So here’s the XLSX:

Translations.xlsx (61.7 KB)

An xls file is fine - there’s the conversion program to translate ts->xlsx and vice versa.

Interesting to see all the translations at one glance.

Just a thought - would be handy to have a column for each language to indicate which items need translation… like in liquist- could use a checkmark and questionmark. You could also sort by column-> check / question mark to easily find which ones are done, and which ones are not.

1 Like

I can take out all the English, since we have that in the 1st column. I couldn’t do anything with the last few languages because I couldn’t find a coding for the languages (on my computer).

Ok, so the blank boxes are where we need translations. Here’s the new file: Translations.xlsx (59.2 KB)

I suggest that all the items get a glance through to make sure that they are correct.

The following language lists are complete and only a check-over would be appreciated:

English, Czech, Dutch, French, Netherlands, Portuguese

These have already been translated quite a bit:

Italian, Romanian, Spanish

Finnish & Polish have very few translations.

These ones are the ones that my Excel can’t read because I don’t have the ability to pull them into Excel in their language, I just get ??? in the spreadsheet:

Greek, Hebrew, Russian, Ukranian

I hope this helps :smiley:

Except how can we convert back to a ts file - which is needed to create the lrelease qm files. If the field is blank the UI text for that item will be blank. In other words - English is the default translation - if that makes sense.

1 Like

LOL, hang onto the copy from yesterday. I destroyed mine by making the new one.

What I’m actually thinking is that people can get the file, rename to their language & delete all the other languages, except the English. Translate it and then return it to us.

That way, we’ll be able to see which lines haven’t been translated, add the English to those & upload to ts.

At the moment, we have English + 5 languages that can be uploaded that are, as far as I can tell, complete.

The others can be left as is for now until we get them back.

I believe I can merge ts’s files together… so there would probably be no reason to add the english parts back in.

For the measurement files - which have not been affected by any changes in the UI.

1 Like

Thanks for the spreadsheet! There’s much more translated then I can see in Seamly :sweat_smile: It’s almost sure most of it is google-made. While thinking about it, it might be easier to make it from beginning :smiley: Have to find&download Qt.

1 Like

Only the known measurement translations are included in the spread sheet. It does not contain the translations for the Seamly2D and SeamlyMe apps…which is way out of date with all the changes I have made to the UI.

Not likely… these translations were probably made through Transifex back before the Seamly was forked from Valentina.

There’s a bit more to creating translations for a Qt app. If we take a step back… In the code when ever you want a string translated it’s wrapped with the tr() function. Such as tr(“Pattern Piece”). Then using Qt Liquist or lupdate.exe, all those tr()'s are encoded as an XML .ts file - per language required. Once those are created / updated several things can happen… the ts files can be pushed to the repo - so that they are available to a service such as Transifex, where they are then exported as the runtime binary qm files, pushed back to the repo, and then become part of the next build release. OR a service can be bypassed, and an individual could edit the ts files, export the qm files from Qt Liguist, and push both the ts & qm files to the repo on Github OR a user could just translate the ts files and using Qt and Linquist make their own builds. That being said, to use the xlsx you’re also going to have to build a conversion app to convert the xlsx back to a ts for use in Linquist.

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed this. Wrote it before looking into the file. Now comes the hard part - get together czech & english tailoring meas. Is it possible for you to export description for measurments?

I mean it’s not revised to be correct, looks like someone just translated words.

1 Like

Technically the measurement names are not proper English either… if it was the names would be a mess. They’re based on a naming scheme. For example… height_highhip… indicates it’s a vertical height measurement from the floor to the high hip… height_calf - vertical measurement from floor to calf. So yes… they’re a bunch of words, not a grammatically correct phrase.

I would expect to see for example the Czech word for “height” followed by “_” + the Czech word(s) for “high hip”. Note that spaces are not used - it’s a coding thing, so we end up with some names such as highhip - which is not an English word, but rather high and hip put together.

If you start literally translating the measurement names you will kinda mess up the whole naming scheme, and behavior such as searching for a certain term.

That being said… the UI translations on the other hand should follow a more grammatically correct form for the given language. And this is where having a native speaker, fluid in garment pattern making to translate would be invaluable. So we don’t end up with nonsense pattern terms like “passmark”… which I suspect as something Google would have spit out.

1 Like

I’m really happy that you will correct the Czech terms. Getting these right is highly important to the software, as are the translations of the UI. So thank you very much.

It’s really hard to get patternmaking people to donate their time to something like this, so I guess Google Translate was about the only way to get something into the software, since, as @Douglas has said, patternmaking has a language of it’s own, which includes the points of measure.

FYI, I found this other translator which actually gives optional context translations: DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator

Quite nice :smiley:

1 Like

Yes… that part is very handy. I also found that it provides for ex: the Frence masculine and feminine translations in some cases. Not sure how that would apply to Seamly, but this site is certainly more robust than Google translate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hola a todos mi nombre es Gerardo, estoy estudiando patronaje en mi país, Perú y quisiera aprender a utilizar este programa, el problemita que tengo es que no se ingles. Alguno de ustedes conoce donde puedo encontrar información en español. Gracias.

2 Likes

¡Bienvenido a Seamly!

Hay enlaces a vídeos sobre Seamly en español –>aqui<–

traducción de DeepL

Possiblemente @Malicat puede ayuda mejor.

:unicorn:

1 Like

Si yo te puedo ayudar en algo dilo. Hay varios videos en youtube para sentar las bases mas los diferentes archivos que pude rescatar en español en la red algunos vienen con el antiguo valentina pero la base de las herramientas son las mismas. En yotube tienes los videos de puntada y pixel, mariana creativa y otro mas con el perfil de negocios digitales para moda. Si encuentro alguno mas te lo hago saber. Baja la velocidad de reproduccion de los videos te ira mejor. En la web de puntada y pixel tambien tienes ejercicios para practicar.

2 Likes