New Seamly2D v6 test builds for Windows, OS X, and Ubuntu!

The only reason I would want them both installed in the same machine is to be able to more easily answer tech questions from “newbies”. I anticipate that there will continue to be some number of people who find their way to this forum even though they use valentna from the Dismine repository

I believe that the only reason that Valentina and seamly can’t be installed on the same Linux system at the same time is just a packaging issue. The same underlying code is used in part and likely will always be. Qt is packaged such that multiple versions can be installed and Qtchooser will all a user to select one.

This error message:

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/seamly2d_0.6.0ubuntu1-0~201712270753~ubunt u17.04.1_amd64.deb (–unpack): trying to overwrite ‘/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libqmuparser.so.2.5.0’, which is also in package valentina 0.5.999+60+3+201712171139~ubuntu17.04.1

indicates that the library libgmuparser.so.2.5.0 is included with in both the valentina (dismine) ppa and the seamly (susan spencer) ppa. It is certainly possible to change the build pipeline process so that one or both of the application level programs does not have the library bundled with it, but to do so would require some effort and somebody motivated to do that effort.

I doubt that it will be a high priority to either project in the near future. (I don’t make that decision for either project, but that is my opinion)

This issue does not exist for those distribution environments where an executable file is distributed. The linux (at least I have verified that the Ubuntu) version is distributed as a collection of object libraries which are linked and loaded during installation time. This is all done “magically” in a way that is transparent to most developers. One of the brilliant aspects of the decision to use a development platform/environment (like) Qt was that it allowed the dismine version of valentina to be developed in a way independent of the differences in operating systems between Windows, MAC, and various linux flavors.

It is only a minor inconvenience for me - I can just create a different boot environment. If anybody really needs to do this, I would be happy to exchange private communication about ways to do it. I believe it is mostly just an academic discussion and that few people are affected. It does not affect anyone who uses Windows or Mac

Probably, yes.

How is it done by other programs that do the same things? I can not imagine that other programs, that have the same funktionality (like different web browsers) do the same task with different libraries? Is it possible that two programs can use the same library?

It is absolutely possible. If I explained it in sufficient detail I might as well do it, but I don’t have the time. Maybe someone else does have the time to repackage, but I do not expect it any time soon. For further explanation, open your favorite web browser and type in “what is an API”

Ok, thank you, I do have a slight feeling what API is and well, I guess I better do my tutorials, that’s what I can do :joy: The learning curve would be too steep, that wouldn’t be efficient.

1 Like