New name for Valentina!

I gave some thought today at work on a new name for the project and to incorporate some of the ideas already put forth here’s what I came up with…

Project name:

• Eurikka Pattern Suite

Which could include various parts of the suite - current and future:

• EurikkaDRAFT or EurikkaDRAW
  • EurikkaTAPE
  • EurikkaSHARE
  • Eurikka3D
  • EurikkaCUT
  • EurikkaMARKER
  • Eurikka[?NAME?]

Domains:

Logo:

• To be determined
3 Likes

This is professional, easy to remember, just a small bit cute, and very engaging. :hearts::hearts:
Regarding logo - take a look at the logo for the pattern files. We could get Mo Odling (I hired her to create this logo) to add an E for Eureika, or Eurikka, or Euriqa, or a letter for whatever we decide.
FinalIconCheck

3 Likes

That looks pretty cool, but where is the rest of the shield? :wink:

I’m pretty ok with this type of design as well. If you tell me what you want and the colours, I can help with this.

How about Sartorius - [Latin for Tailor]

2 Likes

As for internet searches they don’t necessarily find stuff by their actual name. It has a lot to do with keywords all over the webpages and in the headers and what not. So the software could be named pickles and would still be brought up with “pattern making software” if the webpage is designed properly.

1 Like

I think we might want to be mindful about all of the cute spellings. It should not only be something easy to say but easy to spell. If it is an off the wall spelling for another common word I think it could cause issues for people searching for it, typing the URL and that sort of stuff.

1 Like

Unfortunately this lead to the practice of putting every word under the sun in the meta tags or white on white text on webpages.

Another big factor in searches is how many other sites link to your site.

yeah, meta tags are not used much anymore. Proper SEO development is more important than a keyword program name or URL for that matter.

Or how much you’re willing to pay Google, :wink:

On Google search, if the name gets searched a lot and the link gets used, it moves up the lists, so once the name is chosen & the site setup, I suggest everyone google it & go to the site a few times using different searches (metatabs).

2 Likes

If the spelling is a problem, an alternative to eurikka could be erika or erica. It’s close enough to the original eureka and it’s an existing first name, which stays in the ideologie of the name valentina.

LibreFashion also seems a good option. Open Pattern Maker, which I have seen a couple of times is my favourite

2 Likes

To whom are we targeting the name?

To the new users the descriptive name is more important. The name should say that this software is free and with it the user can create all kind of clothes. If the name is a not descriptive word we have to explain what the software is about.

The word Open or Libre has been used for fee software in many cases. What is software is producing - Pattern, Clothes, Fashion or what

1 Like

That’s kind of what I was wondering as well… For me personally I don’t like having “sewing” in the name just because I don’t sew my clothing. I am probably a one off though. I kinda of liked " insert clever name here " Fashion Studio. Then I thought maybe people want to make patterns for things other than fashion… So yeah The target market is important. Other markets will trickle to it anyway.

A pattern… but there is, and we hope more parts to come for the project. That’s why I suggested using Susan’s catchy name Eurikka to brand the project and then identify each part of the “Eurikka Pattern Suite”… EurikkaDRAFT, EurikkaTAPE, EurrikaETC. I have laid out a system to cover any future additions WITHOUT having to go through a drawn out naming process again for any future additions.

I also see a lot of suggestions without any thought to a domain name.

1 Like

Yes it is a fact that the outcome is a pattern.

To get new users the name should has appeal on it. Most of the users an not looking just for patterns.

They are looking a way create bespoke fashionable clothes.

‘LibreFashion Creation Suite’ also works. It says what it is in a way that is easy to remember and Google.

1 Like

We own librefashion.org too from years ago!

3 Likes

DINGDINGDINGDING!!! WE HAVE A WINNAH!!!

1 Like