New name for Valentina!

I agree with @HansLeeuw that a simple, self-explanatory name would be good. I like @yannlossouarn s proposition and also agree with @Krolich that the word “maker” could be ambigious.

Now we have Valentina and Tape, it’s 2 softwares that work hand in hand.

Should we have a name for the whole, for instance Open Pattern Tools or Open Pattern Making Suite and which would be used for marketing / distribution, and the names for the 2 Softwares/Tools, like Pattern Desk or Trace and Tape. If a third programm were to be added in the future, it would maybe make things easier.

It’s a bit like LibreOffice, where each programme has it’s own name (writer, draw, calc etc.)

3 Likes

I’d favour the “Tape”, “Table” (from drafting table) , “Test…” (for testing the design against an actual form, or something like an exported model from other 3D tools… hint hint :smile: )

2 Likes

How about ‘Omega Patternmaking Software’ as in Omega is the last program ever to be needed to do the job, Patternmaking as in the tool you use it to create a pattern, and Software as in it’s a program.

(Valentina is the Alpha - the for-runner.)

I agree with @ronanletiec, specifically the point that Valentina and Tape are tools that are part of a suite. I can easily see @MrDoo 's pattern-cloud being one or more pieces of the suite. and the welcome page suggested by @yannlossouarn is a similar concept to the welcome page of LibreOffice.

Also, as much fun as it is, cute names that mean something to each individual (my example of “hopper” I realize that my cultural bias is hanging out) - those names do not really mean anything to the vast majority of potential users.

I suggest that we decide on a name that has a literal, cross cultural, meaning. I would focus on the concepts of “open”, “TOOL”, “suite”, “clothing/textile design”, “process” and anything else that conveys the meaning of what these bits of software are intended to do.

How about ‘LibreDesign Suite’, with ‘LibreDraft’, ‘LibreMeasure’, ‘LibreShare’, etc.

Keith, I was thinking the same thing, but with what I think I know about human nature I doubt that use of the prefix “Libre” is truly free. (bad pun intended). @slspencer knows much more than I do about whom to ask to see if this is even a possibility

Based on @KeithFromCanada s @kmf s suggestions :

OpenPattern Suite if we stay focused on the pattern making, or OpenClothing Suite if we want to include more steps of making clothes in the future.

The word design on its own is not specific enough in my opinion. When I see it I first think of print or web design.

For the various softwares, instead of repeating “libre” or “open” , it could start with the initials of the suite, for instance OCS Draft, OCS Tape, OCS Share. Internally we would just name them draft, tape and share.

1 Like

I agree that changing the name is mandatory.

Most important things is to look for trademark issue, google ideas, choose a simple evident unique name.

There are been many issues in the past for open source project names or startups. Some lawyers are paid to protect IP by large companies, thus they justify their protections … But we have other concerns. Note this project could have a large audience !

2 Likes

We should think carefully about a new name. It should be one that includes a word/s that people are likely to use in the search engines. This is particularly important because the name is changing, and we need to try and keep the existing audience and expand the audience. I only found Valentina by accident reading a blog about another sewing issue. If I were looking for a pattern making software, I would google pattern making software, so if some of these words were in the name there is a better chance of the software showing up. Because of this I like the Pattern Making Suite idea, perhaps with another word at the beginning to make it unique. Maybe “Ultimate” or “Pro” or “Fashion” or even “Unique”

2 Likes

:twitch: No. Not ‘Ultimate’ or ‘Pro’ or ‘Awesome’ or anything like that. I’m not trying to come down heavily on your idea, but blowing our own horn will automatically turn a LOT of people off. One of the reasons I offered ‘Romina’ is that it is unique. It is a woman’s name that flows easily off of the tongue and that’s about it. ‘Romina Garment Design Suite’ (…or ‘Studio’) would be completely unique while still being fairly easy to remember.

1 Like

Yes you could be right. I do like your choice, as it does have some good key words in there.

1 Like

The following concepts may be eligible :slight_smile:

Free/Libre/Open : relates to open-source status of the project, which may be important for growing the developing community

Sewing : would be interesting, because “pattern” is widely used but not always regarding sewing patterns

Pattern : may be mandatory to mention in the name, for natural indexing / search engine optimization reasons

Studio / Suite / Designer : sounds right

… would lead to something like Open Sewing Pattern Studio, Free Sewing Pattern Suite or so : self-explicit, a bit long maybe ?

1 Like

I appreciate your comments. Reading through the other posts I think the word SEWING maybe important as well. But to use it instead of PATTERN; I would not recommend it.

I did a check on Google with the search-word “sewing pattern” 85 % of the Google results included “free” as related search words. You can try this out yourself at: Google Trends

Googling for “Free Sewing Patterns” I found a lot of free patterns, all limited to patterns created by others to copy and not to create! So in my opinion do not use the word Free. I search for “Tool” but came across a lot of software that uses TOOL (Adobe, and other technical software).

I would stick to: OPEN PATTERN MAKER

1 Like

“Eureka” that was my reaction when I first found this software less than a year ago. I could not believe there was a software existed that works with my pattern design process-both in my thoughts and actual drafting (and it has more tools than my rulers and all the physical pattern making/cutting tools which are collecting dust as I speak). As I learn more about it, more ‘eureka-s’ emerged like the fact is is open source (ever progressive), excellent forum community(never alone), etc. So, it is my proposal to name it Eureka, and we can add sub-titles to it such as “the today and future pattern making/cutting tool” .

2 Likes

Over the past few years, there has been resistance to implement features that Roman’s mother and sister didn’t need, like DXF, 3D exports, marker layouts according to grainline orientation, and other features. The resistance included insulting the people who were looking for these features.

The measurement app (Tape) developent was difficult, users were expected to create their own measurement files with text editor software. After I hired someone to develop the measurement app, Roman agreed to develop this feature. We had an open source license but open source contributions were discouraged.

And interoperability with other programs (like AYAB - all yarns are beautiful](http://ayab-knitting.com) was resisted.

So in hindsight I guess it’s inevitable that there would be a split.

1 Like

How about Valet Patternmaking

@bamba asked an interesting question. is there a mission statement?

So would it not be an idea to specify the proposed direction and see if that suggests a name.

Open Pattern Maker is good, but more of a description than a name - useful as a tag line.

I think we need a name that is short and rare. Rare enough that it gets good google matching; short enough to say and type quickly.

Valentina got shortened to V is discussions because it has too many syllables to say or write quickly.

My suggestion: VeeToo

Its derivation is obvious: Valentina 2.

It’s a fun, made up spelling. Could be shortened even to V2 in the forum.

Its full title: VeeToo - Open Pattern Tool/Suite/System/Maker

VeeToo rather than VeeTwo because it looks nicer.

Jase

2 Likes

That’s one of the main reasons I suggested ‘Romina’; it is short and easy to search, say, and remember.

I am Italian and I don’t like the name Strumodello, it doesn’t make sense for me. I prefer Open Pattern Maker

1 Like