New name for Valentina!

That’s one of the main reasons I suggested ‘Romina’; it is short and easy to search, say, and remember.

I am Italian and I don’t like the name Strumodello, it doesn’t make sense for me. I prefer Open Pattern Maker

1 Like

So far, I really like Eureka. Unfortunately Eureka and Eurekka domains are taken.
Eurika.org is available for $5000 USD.

So…Does anyone like Eurikka?

Um, I went ahead and purchased the Eurikka domains (.org, .com, .io)

Reason: If several people from this forum search for eurikka.com it may cause a URL troll to buy it, and we would lose the option to use it.

We don’t have to use this name. I liked it enough to reserve the URLs but not enough to force a change to this name. It’s up to the people on this forum.

Bad idea… Unless you want the name association with the German V2 rockets that rained down on London & Antwerp during WW2.

Exactly what is the process for this to happen? Do we just keep throwing names out willy nilly until everyone can commit to a name? Pun intended.

must one make a fork and or pull request before one can commit?

Usually a ring will do. :grin:

1 Like

Sounds good to me :slight_smile:

@slspencer They were quite a few suggestions for the new name. How about picking between 3 to 7 ideas and submit them to a vote (if it’s possible with the forum?). It could reflect what the contributors prefer, without having everyone writing new posts.

Also what do you think of the idea of the new name being the name of the suite and finding a name for the main program now called valentina (something like “draft” or “table” )?

1 Like

I like the idea of a suite (name to be decided) and the existing valentina program being V2-table.

I also really like the idea of new file extensions (.va2 and .vt2) ??

suite should probably contain import & export functions to keep up with .val and .vit in the future

Yes the idea is to find 3 to 5 names that people like. Then create a poll for those names.

I am not sure about VeeToo, although this a nice creative name, good submission. But in two years will this be considered a good name? It seems transient, although very catchy for immediate use.

Also, most USA users won’t know how the phrase “V2” evokes an immediate negative response in the UK and EU. The emotional respose is similar to the disdain and horror most of the US feels when “KKK” is mentioned. So this is not insignificant to our discussion.

i apologize if i have inadvertently let my cultural issues become offensive. I don’t even know the significance of v2 but i do have the kneejerk negative response to KKK so I get it. that may also be a reason to avoid veetoo or veetwo

1 Like

Not offensive, just be aware that the subconcious response might not be favorable with a large portion of our user community if we go we VeeToo.

In a few days we’ll make a poll of submitted names. This gives the opportunity to hear from users who check in once a week.

As the name seems to be heading towards using multiple words in it, may I suggest a multi-poll with all of the options?

1 Like

Just a note, multiple wording is difficult to translate into branding, media, and any type of advertising. These things are important in raising funds from companies to pay for development, and in building new user communities.
So submissions should be single names.
The multiple words phrases can be used to select a secondary short descriptor.

Also, to keep it separate from the old name, let’s not echo the old name in any way. (Vee, Val, etc.)
We’ll rename the file extension to match the new name.

2 Likes

I looked today, and Euriqa.net, Euriqa.org, Euriqa.io, and Euriqa.me were available too. Snagged them just in case. ;D

3 Likes

:rofl:

I like Euriqa, but I’d go one further with Youriqa to highlight the more community-focused aspect of the project. Though I think it’s ugly, aesthetically.

Do not apologize, AFAIK V2 rockets is not such a sensitive issue: maybe English or Belgian people here could say (most V2 were sent to England and Belgium), but there has been less civilian victims due to V2 attacks than in Battle of Britain, for example.

Being British, I was aware of the V-2 as a kid because it featured in a how-things-work annual that I had. You can also see one, complete with launch ramp, at the Duxford aerospace museum. I don’t think there are any lasting sensitivity issues around this. At the time, the doodlebug (V-1) was more terrifying as it had a noisy engine that cut out meaning its arrival was imminent. For the V-2 its more a matter of awe at the German engineering of the time - this was the precursor for much of the subsequent space rocket development. I checked with the wife too (history graduate). Anyhow, its a moot point as it didn’t pass the @slspencer test :slight_smile:

Jase

1 Like