New Feature: Technical Draw in Detail Mode, issue #333

It would be nice to have technical draw in detail mode. Also the possibility to scale pattern in order to reduce size to print the technical draw.

3 Likes

Hi @alinegesualdi and again, welcome.

I’m not too sure if I understand. Perhaps I’m very dumb today. :slight_smile: Please can you explain it to me?

1 Like

It could be something similar to the picture attached. If I could write in Detail Mode in order to include some technical details. Other issue would to be able to reduce piece size to fit in a A4 paper with technical specs.

Please feel free to ask if I didn’t explain well.

Best regards Aline

2 Likes

That’s really beautifully done. However, I’m only a program user, so one of the developers would be better able to reply to you. However, I feel that the teaching material created in your image is a little beyond the purpose of the patternmaking software and also limits you in using different size measurement or multi-size tables.

That said, I think the solution would be to export your pattern from the Layout board to .svg. Open the .svg with Inkscape or similar software, add your dimensions and reduce it to fit onto an A4. I do this quite a bit and it’s really easy.

I hope this helps you with your training. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Grace! I agree with you! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Best, Aline

1 Like

Hi Aline…

Like I mentioned on the Github there’s 2 separate parts to your issue.

Let’s take the 2 part first. Scaling can be done in several different ways - without adding anything to Seamly2D.

• You could export a pattern layout as a pdf and then print it whatever scale you want.

• You could export it as an SVG and import / manipulate the pattern pieces in a program like the free open source Inkscape. OR export as a DXF and import into the free LibreCad program.

• You could use the formulas feature of the program to define a scale for a pattern. Open up the Variables Table and create a “custom” increment… let’s say #Scale and set it’s formula (value) to 1.

Screenshot (122)

Then for the formula for each of your tool objects - multiply the length by #Scale… 1 being 100%.

Screenshot (121)

Then all you have to do to change the scale is change the value of #Scale in the Variables Table and since all the objects are multiplied by #Scale they will all automatically change length. If you want 1/10 or 10%… set the value to .1. 1/2 scale… .5. etc

That being said… now the first part - technical details. Help me understand what your use for this feature would be. Like I said on Github in the near future I plan to add the ability to add text to pattern pieces… that would accomplish being able to add dimensions to a pattern piece.

4 Likes

Thank you Douglas! I loved the solution by using increments!

In relation to the first part the ability to add text to pattern pieces will certainly solve the issue.

Thanks a lot! Best, Aline.

2 Likes

It had never occurred to me to use a scaling increment in that way. Thank you for a great idea.

2 Likes